11 injured in 8 crashes: Chaos on Gold Coast roads

IT was a chaotic night on Gold Coast roads last night, with paramedics called to eight separate crashes – seven in just three hours.

Eleven people were taken to hospital following prangs in Mudgeeraba, Nerang, Robina, Coombabah and in Surfers Paradise.

The first call came in just after 8pm when a ute took out two cars and smashed into a barrier on the M1 at Mudgeeraba.


It happened in the southbound lanes, at a roadworks site near Exit 80.

The man behind the wheel of the ute then allegedly tried bike-jacking a motorcyclist in an attempt to flee the scene.

A female police officer who was driving past the scene stopped to help and confronted the man.

Police said the man assaulted the Senior Constable and tried stealing her gun before members of the public rushed in and helped subdue him.

He was eventually taken into custody before being taken to hospital with a laceration to his head and shoulder, police said.

The female police officer and a number of other people, including a child, were taken to hospital with minor injuries.

While attending to the scene, emergency services were called to another crash on Spencer Road in Nerang.

A Queensland Ambulance spokesperson said a man in his 30s sustained burns to his leg when his motorbike “spontaneously caught fire” about 8.20pm.

He was treated at the scene before being transported to the Gold Coast University Hospital in a stable condition.

Then, at 9.16pm, paramedics were called to another accident involving a motorbike, this time back in Mudgeeraba.

It happened on the corner of Bonogin and Tolga Roads about 9.16pm.

A man, also in his 30s, was treated at the scene before he too was taken to the Gold Coast Uni Hospital in a stable condition.

Less than an hour later, at 9.55pm, paramedics were called to reports of a crash involving two scooters in Surfers Paradise.

It’s understood the scooters collided on the footpath on Main Beach Parade.

The two riders, a male and a female, were both assessed by paramedics before being transported to the Uni Hospital in stable conditions.

Thirty minutes later, just before 10.30pm, two cars collided in the southbound lanes of the M1 at Robina.

An elderly man sustained a head injury and was transported by ambulance to hospital in a stable condition.

Within minutes, crews were called to a third accident involving a motorcycle, this time at Coombabah.

A man in his 40s escaped with only minor injuries after coming off his bike on Hansford Road, near Oxley Drive about 10.48pm.

The motorbike caught fire following the crash and the man was taken to the Uni Hospital suffering from neck and shoulder pain.

A short time later, at 11.26pm, a man was injured when the car he was in slammed into a pole on Junction Road at Burleigh Heads.

He sustained minor injuries and was taken to hospital in a stable condition.

Then, just after the calls appeared to have eased, crews were dispatched to a two vehicle crash in Carrara.

It happened at the intersection of Manchester and Nerang-Broadbeach Roads about 2.52am.

One person sustained head injuries and was transported to the Gold Coast University Hospital in a stable condition.

They were the hospital’s eleventh crash patient for the night.

Leave a Reply

Notify of