50 people charged over major family day care fraud syndicate

A MASSIVE 50 people have now been charged over a sophisticated family day care syndicate operating in NSW.

Detectives from the Financial Crimes Squad and Organised Crime Squad established Strike Force Mercury in July last year after receiving reports of “coordinated fraudulent activities targeting family day care operations.”

Police allege the syndicate fraudulently claimed at least $3.9 million in Commonwealth payments under the Child Care Subsidy schemes over a 10-month period.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT

At least 39 people have already been charged and remain before the courts.

However, police have confirmed they’ve now arrested and charged a further 11 women over their alleged role in the criminal syndicate.

The women, aged between 20 and 48, were taken into custody at homes in Fairfield, Bankstown, Liverpool and Woolongong this week.

They were all taken to local police stations and charged with participate in a criminal group and have since been granted conditional bail to appear at Liverpool Local Court on Monday 25 November.

State Crime Commander, Acting Assistant Commissioner Stuart Smith, says joint investigations are ongoing.

“We have completely dismantled this syndicate and put the director, facilitators and parents involved in this fraud before the courts,” Acting Assistant Commissioner Smith said.

“Strike Force investigators will now look to target other syndicates exploiting the government’s childcare subsidy scheme that was established to relieve financial pressures of everyday mums and dads.”

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of