A Gold Coast man accused of fighting for a terrorist group in Syria has briefly fronted a Brisbane court.
Agim Ajazi appeared in Brisbane Magistrates Court on Tuesday after he was deported by Turkish authorities and taken into custody in Adelaide on Sunday.
The 30-year-old is accused of providing support for terrorist organisations Jabhat al-Nusra and Jabhat Fatah al-Sham in Syria between 2014 and 2016.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
The accusations also include spreading propaganda, performing guard duties and being a member of a terrorist organisation.
“We will allege that he was advocating terrorists acts, not just in the conflict zones but also terrorists acts back in the west. He was engaging in hospital activities in terms of firing of firearms and that’s been reflected on some of the social media accounts. He’s recorded as boasting about killing non-Muslims in the conflict zone,” Australian Federal Police Assistant Commissioner Counter Terrorism Ian McCartney said during a press conference on Tuesday.
“Social media was a significant component to the investigation,” Commissioner McCartney said.
Ajazi was not required to enter a plea and was remanded in custody until his next court date of January 10.
Authorities have confirmed Ajazi lived on the Gold Coast until he left Australia in 2013 and he had been under investigation before his departure.
“Yes he was subject to investigation prior to him leaving Australia and of course the duration whilst he was overseas,” Queensland Police Service Assistant Commissioner Security and Counter-Terrorism Command Peter Fleming said.
“I can reassure the community of Queensland that this individual poses no current or impending threat to any community safety issues.”
“We are committed to ensuring the safety and security of all Queenslanders and that is done through our partner agencies at all levels of government