THE PENTAGON has confirmed the United States has begun airstrikes over Syria.
Pentagon spokesman Rear Admiral John Kirby said that bombing raids had been launched against Islamic State extremists.
“I can confirm that US military and partner nation forces are undertaking military action against ISIL terrorists in Syria using a mix of fighter, bomber and Tomahawk Land Attack Missiles,” he said in a statement.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“We will provide more details later as operationally appropriate.”
It comes after President Barack Obama warned in a speech on September 10 that the US was prepared to attack IS militants in Syria.
Australia confirmed they would join the US in their fight against the militants.
The decision to join the fight has angered supporters of the Islamic State.
A spokesperson for the radical group posted a video online on Monday urging others to do whatever it takes to kill Australians and other nations involved in the conflict in the Middle East.