UPDATE at 11:00 AM AEST | EXTRA police will patrol Melbourne’s CBD this weekend following yesterday’s deadly terror attack in the heart of the city.
The terrorist who inflicted the carnage has been identified as 30-year-old Somalian-born Hassan Khalif Shire Ali.
He is the brother of accused terrorist Ali Khalif who allegedly planned to carry out an attack in Melbourne’s Federation Square on New Year’s Eve last year.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Mr Shire Ali was shot by police and later died in hospital after embarking on a murderous rampage on Bourke Street on Friday afternoon.
The 30-year-old stopped his ute – laden with gas cylinders – in the middle of the busy street and set fire the vehicle before rolling it forward towards the footpath.
He then went on a stabbing spree, killing a 74-year-old man and knifing another two men, aged 26 and 58, in the head and upper body.
They’re lucky to be alive and are recovering in a stable condition in hospital this morning after undergoing surgery.
Mr Shire Ali then turned the knife on attending police but was shot in the chest and died in hospital 30 minutes later.
Police allege the 30-year-old was radicalised and inspired by Islamic State. The terrorist group claimed responsibility for the attack overnight.
It was last night revealed that Mr Shire Ali moved to Australia from Somalia in the 1990s, lived in Melbourne’s northwest and was known to authorities at both a state and federal level.
It is understood he was being watched by police but there was no information indicating he posed a threat to national security.
Mr Shire Ali’s passport, however, was cancelled in 2015 after he allegedly tried travelling to Syria.
MORE TO COME.
8:00 PM AEST FRIDAY | POLICE have confirmed they are treating Friday afternoon’s deadly peak-hour rampage in Melbourne’s CBD as a terrorist attack, but say there is no ongoing threat to the community.
A blue dual-cab ute, filled with gas bottles, mounted the footpath on Bourke Street and exploded about 4.10pm before the driver went on a rampage, stabbing one man to death and knifing two others in the head.
In a second press conference shortly after 8:30pm AEDT, Victoria Police Commissioner Graham Ashton confirmed the man who inflicted the carnage had since died in hospital after being shot in the chest by police.
“The scene, what we know so far about the individual who we shot, police shot and has died at hospital, from what we know of that individual, we are treating this as a terrorism incident,” Commissioner Ashton said.
The Commissioner said the man moved to Australia from Somalia in the 1990s and was known to both Victoria Police and the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO).
The Counter-Terrorism Command has taken over the investigation.
5:30 PM AEST FRIDAY | A MAN has been shot by police after allegedly stabbing three people, killing one of them, and attacking officers with a knife following a car explosion in Melbourne’s CBD.
In a statement, a Victoria Police spokesperson said officers responded to reports of a car on fire on Bourke Street, near the corner of Swanston Street about 4.20pm.
When they arrived, they were allegedly confronted by a man who started lunging at them with a knife.
Chilling footage uploaded to social media shows the suspect repeatedly swinging the weapon at two officers before one of them draws their firearm and opens fire. See the videos below.
Police have since confirmed the man was shot in the chest and is in a critical condition. He’s been transported to hospital under police guard.
Videos from the scene showed officers arresting the man on the footpath immediately after he was shot.
— windix (@windix) November 9, 2018
Police said three members of the public were stabbed, one of whom died from their injuries at the scene.
“Three victims have been located, two appear to have been stabbed to the upper body, the third has died at the scene,” Victoria Police said in a statement.
The two surviving victims are being treated in hosptial. Their genders, ages, and condition are not known.
Police say it is yet to be determined if the incident is terror-related. They are not looking for anyone else.
The bomb response unit is on the scene, conducting safety checks on the vehicle.
The area has been cordoned off and the public is urged to avoid the area.
No further information was available at the time of writing.
Anyone with images or video footage that may assist police with their investigation into the incident are encouraged to upload them here → https:vpupload.fotoware.com.au
Members of the public who witnessed the event and wish to make a statement are asked to attend Melbourne West Police Station at 313 Spencer Street, Melbourne.
Anyone with information is also urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential crime report online at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au
WARNING: Disturbing footage below.
— windix (@windix) November 9, 2018
On Bourke St. Roads blocked. pic.twitter.com/wimeJLNXWy
— mike yang (@fayfayang) November 9, 2018
— The LFC Couch 🗣🎙 (@LFCCouch) November 9, 2018
— ABC Melbourne (@abcmelbourne) November 9, 2018
4:00 PM AEST FRIDAY| HUNDREDS of police have swooped on Bourke Street in Melbourne’s CBD after a car reportedly burst into flames and a man began attacking police with a knife.
Chilling footage uploaded to social media shows a man attacking police with a knife moments after the vehicle exploded. He was then shot by police.
“Police are aware of an incident in the vicinity of Bourke Street,” Victoria Police have said in a statement.
Authorities are urging the public to avoid the area.
It is normal for people to have strong emotional or physical reactions following a distressing or frightening event. People can seek help and advice by visiting your local doctor or calling:
- Lifeline 13 11 14
- GriefLine 1300 845 745
- BeyondBlue 1300 224 636