Plenty to do during Gold Coast Green Week

GOLD Coast Green Week is here and will run to Sunday June 8, providing an array of activities to suit everyone’s interests. 

Whether it is the ‘activist’, ‘adventurist’, or ‘health enthusiast’ waiting to be awoken in you, or you are looking for an event that will allow you relax, catch up and have fun with family and friends, Gold Coast Green Week is for you.

Activities cater for a variety of tastes, including National Whale Day celebrated at Broadwater Parklands and Beach Bingo for the kids.

The week long event will conclude with the much loved Gecko’s Wildlife Expo held on Sunday at Australia Fair Shopping Centre.

All activities and events during the week are the result of the collective devotion of volunteers, businesses, organisations and individuals.

It is Gecko’s President, Lynda Hull’s, philosophy of ‘making the small things the big things’ that captures the purpose and aim of the event, which is to create a larger green conscious community on the Gold Coast.

The take away message is how you can play a part in contributing to the bigger goal of a healthier, more sustainable and greener future.

For more information about the event please visit the Gold Coast and Hinterland Environment Council website at http://goldcoastgreenweek.com/ where you can download the Gold Coast Green Week Booklet.

Kids ‘high on glue’ crash stolen car

Crashed Car

The car lay wrecked in a ditch off Lawrence Drive, Nerang. IMAGE: Matthew Howard (10 News) SOURCE: Twitter

A GROUP of kids first accused of sniffing petrol before stealing a vehicle from a Gold Coast car yard and crashing it into a ditch this afternoon have been arrested.

Police were called to the scene on Lawrence Drive, Nerang shortly after 3pm following reports up to four young kids aged between 10-14 were seen sniffing petrol and attempting to break into cars.

Further information indicated the boys managed to break into a silver Toyota Camry and drive it out of the car yard before crashing it into a ditch around 500m down the street.

The incident sparked a brief police hunt for two of the offenders who fled the scene on foot, believed headed for the Nerang train station.

All four youngsters were eventually arrested, with two taken to hospital to be assessed – one with a blood nose.

Bianca Stone from 7 News reports that the boys denied sniffing petrol, instead told police they had been sniffing glue.

Burleigh Bears Weekend Review: June 1st 2014

By Kevin Braysher

THE Burleigh Bears survived a late comeback to defeat the North’s Devils 24-22 at Pizzey Park on Sunday.

With players and many spectators dressed in pink for the Bear’s annual Pink Day, both teams delivered a spectacle worthy of the big day.

As they had done against the Northern Pride and Redcliffe Dolphins in their previous outings, the Bears jumped to a half time lead but this time they held on to record a much needed victory.

“We’ve been threatening to do it for the last couple of weeks,” Bears coach Jimmy Lenihan said.

“We had spoken about how in the last couple of weeks we’ve been ahead at half time and then got nailed at the end of the game.

“Today we teetered on the edge a little bit but we found the courage and the defence to hold out and I was really happy.

“We’ve knocked over a top three side and if we can keep building and keep in the right direction we’ll win more games than we’ll lose in the back end of the year.”

The game started evenly with both sides trading tries in the opening stages.

North’s struck first through winger Kieran English in the 5th minute with Burleigh hitting back through skipper Darren Griffiths five minutes later.

The Bears took the lead for the first time when Nafe Seluini made a long break through the middle of the field and found Henare Wells in support for the try.

North’s drew level soon after with Chris Faust scoring off a Darren Nicholls grubber kick, but the Devils struggled to build any pressure on the back of some dreadful handling.

Burleigh punished their mistakes and it was Henare Wells who managed to do the damage.

The fullback scored two times before the break to take his personal tally to three for the day and give Burleigh 12-point lead at half time.

While Burleigh had the momentum at the break, North’s were still close enough to make a challenge and in the second half their handling improved and as a result they were able to build plenty of pressure.

Kieran English scored his second try 10 minutes after the break to bring the Devils within a converted try.

The Devils forced dropouts, had repeated sets and threw plenty of attack at the Bears defence.

The desperate Bears kept turning up but they cracked with two minutes to go when Zach Koitka went over out wide.

Darren Nicholls’ conversion attempt would have levelled the scores, but it was waved away and the Bears held on to the win.

In addition to three tries Henare Wells also came up with a try-saving defensive play late in the game which saw him earn XXXX Man of the Match honours.

“Scoring three tries was wonderful but the one he saved at the end was just an amazing effort,” Lenihan said of his fullback.

“He’s working hard and has done the right thing by us and played well today.”

Lenihan also praised the performance of halfback Ryley Jacks and debutant five-eighth Connor Toia.

Earlier in the day the Bears Colts moved to four points clear at the top of the ladder by defeating North’s 23-12.

Upgrade to Smith Street Motorway underway

THE final stage of road upgrades for the Gold Coast’s Health and Knowledge Precinct in Parkwood is now underway, with motorists warned to expect frequent changing traffic conditions until late 2015.

The third and final phase will upgrade the Smith Street Motorway, and a section of Olsen Avenue between the interchange and Crestwood Drive.

The interchange will also be upgraded to include a free-flowing loop to allow motorists to travel from southbound to westbound without being delayed at traffic signals.

The speed limit on the Smith Street Motorway has also been permanently reduced to 80km/h between the Pacific Motorway and Parklands Drive.

A speed limit of 60km/h will be applied to all roadwork zones regardless of road workers onsite, due to narrowed lanes and unfinished road surfaces.

See the full list of project features and benefits by searching “Smith Street Motorway” at www.tmr.qld.gov.au.

Keep informed of the changing road conditions and roadwork progress by joining the free SMS text message and traffic alert email system.

To register, call the project team on 1800 600 163 or email GCConnectJV@seymourwhyte.com.au.

Push for teen flood hero to be recognised

THE father of 13-year-old Jordan Rice who was tragically killed while saving his younger brother in Queensland’s 2011 floods has today renominated his son for a bravery award.

John Tyson’s renewed plea comes after two previous rejections of a bravery award for Jordan, despite Tony Abbott, then-opposition leader, saying he should be given the Cross of Valour – Australia’s highest civilian award for bravery.

“I was so proud. I waited, waited and waited – but it never happened. Three years on, I feel like Jordan’s bravery has been forgotten about, and all the talk by politicians were empty gestures,” John said.

Jordan, his mother and younger brother were trapped on the roof of their family car in the middle of Toowoomba when it was overcome by raging floodwaters.

As a good samaritan waded in to help, Jordan insisted his little brother was saved first. Moments later, Jordan and his mum were swept to their deaths.

“Jordan couldn’t swim. He must have been petrified. But he put his fears aside to make sure his brother made it through the terrifying flood,” John said.

“Time can never heal what losing them has meant for us. We’re still devastated, and struggling.”

Toowoomba - Floods

The scene of the 2011 inland tsunami which swept through the centre of Toowoomba.

More than 126,000 people have signed an online change.org petition to honour Jordan, setup by John.

Tyson said he welcomed the overwhelming support for his petition, and hoped the Governor-General’s awards committee would take it into consideration in his application for Jordan.

“Our family were shocked that the committee refused to recognise Jordan’s bravery last time around – it left us numbed and devastated,” he said.

“I really hope that the support of 126,000 Australians on my change.org petition will help show the community support for Jordan to be remembered.

“Nothing will ever bring Jordan and Donna back to us. But three and a half years on, we hope a permanent recognition of Jordan’s sacrifice and bravery will help us put this tragedy behind us finally.”

In response to Tyson’s 126,000-strong petition, Tony Abbott last week contacted the Governor-General’s honours secretariat to consider any nomination for Jordan to receive the Cross of Valour posthumously.

For live signature updates and comments on the petition: http://www.change.org/honourjordan