Willie Mason in strife

RUGBY league player Willie Mason, has reportedly been caught drink driving.

The Newcastle Knights posted a brief statement on their website which read Willie Mason failed a random breath test on the way to training early this morning.

Mason (pictured, courtesy of foxsports.com.au) is due to appear in court on February 20th, 2014 in relation to this charge.  The Club will be making no further comment in relation to this matter.

The Newcastle Herald reported that a police spokeswoman said that a 33-year-old man from Charlestown was stopped for a random breath test where he gave a reading of 0.079.

Body of Gold Coast base jumper possibly tampered with

POLICE think a helmet camera may have been removed from the body of Ashley Cosgriff after he jumped off the 432 metre tall Omega transmitter in Victoria’s Gippsland region, (pictured, courtesy of au.news.yahoo.com).

It is reported that someone travelled a distance of around 60 kilometres on Saturday to raise the alarm, but did not leave a name.

Ashley, who went to Elanora State High School, was lying alone when police discovered his remains.  Officers think a helmet camera may have captured the fall, but was nowhere to be found.  They do not think that Ashley was alone when he jumped.

The 23-year-old thrill seeker had been living in New South Wales before his death.

The ABC reported “there is a mount for a camera attached to his helmet, but no camera was found at the scene,” a police spokesman said.

“When police arrived at the scene, we found that the person’s helmet had been removed. We believe that’s happened post-impact.”

“What’s happened at the scene is not so important as what’s happened afterwards and you should be helping your friend [by helping to] put this together,” he said.

Shock result in men’s decider at Aus Open

THE world is celebrating two new Australian Open champions.

Stanislas Wawrinka won the first Grand Slam of his career at Melbourne Park (pictured – courtesy of tennis.com.au) on Sunday night after overcoming a wounded Rafael Nadal.

Sports News First reports, the Swiss eighth-seed raced through the opening set winning it six games to three dominating the world No. 1, before it became apparent, Nadal was dealing with a back complaint.

He took an injury time-out early in the second set and then returned barely able to serve or move and as a result Wawrinka easily opened up a two sets to love lead.

However, then Nadal revived himself and perhaps the pain-killers kicked in while Wawrinka felt the pressure that now suddenly there was a Grand Slam title for him there for the taking.

Nadal won the third set easily to force a fourth, but Wawrinka steadied himself to win and take the match 6-3, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 in two hours and 21 minutes.

It was a brave performance from Nadal to keep fighting despite his back complaint and jeers from the crowd when a record number of players at this year’s Australian Open have retired mid-match at the slightest sign of a bit of pain.

Wawrinka is now the highest-ranked Swiss player, surpassing Roger Federer for the very first time.

It followed a dominant performance by China’s Li Na in the women’s decider on Saturday night.

The crowd favourite took just two sets to do away with Dominika Cibulkova.

The 31-year-old world No. 4 had previously played in two Australian Open finals and lost both in 2011 and 2013.

It was a tight battle in the first set of the final on Rod Laver Arena with it going to a tie-break, but the Chinese veteran managed to prevail in that and then dominate the second set in just 22 minutes to win the match 7-6, 6-0.

Na continued to win fans after the match, with her speech trending on Twitter.

She started by thanking her agent: “Max, agent, make me rich, thanks a lot” she said.

Then she turned to her husband of eight years, Dennis: “Thanks (to) him with everything, travelling with me as my hitting partner. (He) fixes my drink, fixes my raquet… So thanks a lot, you’re a nice guy.”

“Also, you’re so lucky, you found me”.

The Spit closed for Australia Day

THERE are traffic changes to the Spit over the long weekend.

The Finger section of the Main Beach strip will be closed to all vehicles between 6am and 8pm on Sunday and Monday.

The number of people on Seaworld Dr is being limited to avoid the traffic chaos seen in previous years for Australia Day celebrations.

Trio threaten man with baseball bat at Beenleigh

POLICE north of the Coast are on the look out for a trio who assualted a man at Beenleigh.

The group threatened him with a baseball bat, before punching him in the face and stealing his phone around 4pm on Saturday.

They also took other personal property from their victim.

Two of the attackers are described as Caucasian men with slim builds, while the other is said to be Pacific Islander in appearance.

The victim is recovering with bruises and swelling to his face.