Shark

BREAKING | Teenager killed in suspected shark attack

A teenage boy has died after a suspected shark attack north of Coffs Harbour in NSW.

It’s understood the 17-year-old was surfing at Wilsons Headland at Wooli Beach, near Grafton, just before 2.30pm when he was mauled.

Police say several board-riders rushed to his aid before the injured teen could be helped to shore.

“First aid was rendered for serious injuries to his legs and despite CPR efforts to revive him, the 17-year-old died at the scene” NSW police said in a statement.

Beaches in the area including Wooli, Diggers Camp and Minnie Water have since been closed following the attack.

Police are liaising with the Department of Primary Industry to investigate the circumstances surrounding the death.

A report will be prepared for the Coroner.

Hospital corridor

Man charged over horrific assault of cancer patient outside NSW hospital

A man has been charged over the alleged sickening assault of a cancer patient outside a hospital in Darlinghurst.

The horror alleged attack happened about 10.15am on Friday, at a hospital on Victoria Street.

Police say a a 35-year-old man, who is currently undergoing cancer treatment, left the hospital grounds for a break.

“While he was seated outside, a man approached and asked for a cigarette. He refused the request and the man allegedly took hold of his arm and threw him to the ground before punching him a number of times in his stomach,” NSW police said.

“The assault continued as the man grabbed hold of the patient’s IV tubes and ripped them out before repeatedly kicking him in the stomach.”

A nurse witnessed the assault and called for the man to stop before other doctors and nurses ran to the patient’s aid.

The man then fled the scene before being taken into custody at a nearby park a short time later following a brief struggle with police.

He has since been charged with aggravated assault with intent to rob and use corporate violence, assault occasioning actual bodily harm, and resist arrest.

The man was refused bail to appear in Parramatta Local Court today.

Police say the cancer patient suffered internal injuries and is being treated at St Vincent’s Hospital.

Vic records 216 new coronavirus cases

Victoria has recorded 216 new coronavirus cases in the past 24 hours, down from the 288 new cases recorded the previous day.

A man in his 90s died overnight while 49 remain in hospital, including 15 in intensive care, Premier Daniel Andrews said on Saturday morning.

More than 180 of the new cases are still under investigation, with 30 linked to known outbreaks.

The figures comes after a warning of more ugliness to come.

“We will see more and more additional cases, that’s the nature of this,” Mr Andrews said.

It takes the total number of cases in the state to 3560 and the national death toll to 107.

The premier said people were noticeably taking on board the recommendation that they wear masks in public when out and about for one of the four allowed reasons.

“The wearing of masks could well be a really important feature of the next part of our pandemic response,” he said.

Chief Health Officer Professor Brett Sutton said single cases had been recorded among staff in aged care facilities.

He said the state has had more aged care facility outbreaks than any other state, but no really substantial ones because of the response.

The premier said he had accepted all offers of support from Prime Minister Scott Morrison.

Defence force staff have been deployed at checkpoints, and more are on their way, he said.

“If I need something I ring the prime minister and he says ‘yes’,” he said.

© AAP 2020

Hospital

Australia’s COVID-19 death toll rises as Qld records two new cases

The country’s coronavirus death toll has sadly risen this morning, with Victoria recording another death.

A man in his 90s passed away overnight, which brings the national toll to 107 and Victoria’s toll to 23.

It comes as Victoria recorded another day of triple digit coronavirus numbers, with 216 new infections in the past 24 hours.

Only 30 of those are connected to known outbreaks, with the other 186 now under investigation.

Queensland has today also recorded two new cases, on the second day of the state’s borders being reopened.

However, Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk confirmed both cases are ADF personnel who recently returned from overseas and have been in isolation since arriving.

“They are therefore not currently considered be a risk to the public,” the Premier said.

Tourism Minister Kate Jones said people need to continue to be vigilant and maintain social distancing, with the new cases proving Queensland is “not out of the woods yet”.

“It always concerning to see any new cases of coronavirus here in Queensland… Now is not the time to relax,” Ms Jones said.

“Now is the time to step up and make sure you continue to practice social distancing wherever you are.”

It brings the total number of active cases in Queensland to three, including one here on the Gold Coast.

The state tally now stands at 1070.

Child killed, several injured after truck ploughs into highway rest stop

A child has died and at least four people have been seriously injured after a cement truck lost control and crashed into several cars parked at a rest stop on the Hume Highway in NSW.

Emergency services were called to a rest area southbound at Menangle just after 3.00pm, following reports of a horror crash involving a b-double.

Despite desperate attempts by paramedics, a young girl died at the scene.

Four others were also injured in the crash and have since been rushed to Liverpool Hospital, including a woman who is fighting for life.

The driver of the truck, a man, managed to escape uninjured and is expected to be taken to hospital for mandatory testing.

A crime scene has since been established at the crash site, which will be examined by forensic officers.

Motorists are being urged to avoid the area.

No further information is available at this time.