William Tyrrell

‘Someone has taken him’: William’s carer

Update at 10.50am, Tuesday 26 March 2019:

William Tyrrell’s foster mother has told a coroner she immediately thought “someone has taken him” when the NSW town of Kendall fell quiet and the three-year-old boy vanished without a trace.

“I couldn’t hear a thing. It was silent, there was no wind, there were no birds,” the woman said in Sydney on Tuesday at an inquest into William’s disappearance and suspected death in September 2014.

Counsel assisting the coroner, Gerard Craddock SC, asked: “In your experience, that little part of this little village, sound carries pretty well?”

“Oh, unbelievably. You can hear everything,” the foster carer replied.

She said she was left standing in the backyard of her mother’s house on the mid north coast wondering why she couldn’t hear William or see him in his red Spiderman suit because “it hasn’t been that long”.

He’d been playing “daddy tiger” and roaring at the two women.

“My immediate thought was somebody has taken him and he’s gone,” she said.

The woman, who cannot be identified, had a blue-and-red “Where’s William?” ribbon pinned to her chest as she sat in the witness box giving evidence.

On Monday, she testified having seen three cars on the street the morning he disappeared – including one white and one grey car parked between two driveways.

The woman on Tuesday said she didn’t realise until after William went missing that those two cars were gone.

“I know in hindsight that they weren’t there but whilst I was searching I didn’t. In the initial stage, it didn’t even occur to me that those cars weren’t there,” she said.

Mr Craddock said he expected the evidence before the inquest would establish William “was taken” and his disappearance “was the direct result of human intervention”.

The first week of hearings will explore William’s foster and biological families, when he disappeared and the action taken shortly after he went missing.

Family members, neighbours and police will give evidence.

Further hearings will be held in August when persons of interest will be called to testify.

The inquest before Deputy State Coroner Harriet Grahame continues.

© AAP 2019

Earlier at 8.41am, Tuesday 26 March 2019: William Tyrrell’s foster mother is due to return for a second emotional day of questioning at an inquest into the boy’s disappearance and suspected death.

The woman, who cannot be identified, on Monday told a Sydney coroner the three-year-old had been playing “daddy tiger” in his Spiderman suit but ran out of sight before everything went silent.

She had snapped a photo of William less than an hour before he vanished.

The woman said she saw three cars on the road outside her mother’s place in Kendall, on the NSW mid north coast, on the morning of his disappearance in September 2014.

Two of them were parked between driveways, which seemed “odd” for the quiet street, and she described all three cars as “old”.

“I can’t tell you how much I rack my brain and I beat myself up over not looking at number plates,” the foster carer said through tears.

She said she exchanged a fleeting look with the driver of the third vehicle, being a green or teal-looking car, who was Caucasian, in his late 50s, and a “big man” with a thick neck and “sandy, reddy-coloured” hair.

“I can see him as I’m talking to you. I can still see him and I can see that car,” she told counsel assisting the coroner, Gerard Craddock SC.

Mr Craddock said he expected the evidence before the inquest would establish William “was taken” and his disappearance “was the direct result of human intervention”.

The first week of hearings will explore William’s foster and biological families, when he disappeared and the action taken shortly after he went missing.

Family members, neighbours and police will give evidence.

Further hearings will be held in August when persons of interest will be called to testify.

The inquest before Deputy State Coroner Harriet Grahame continues.

© AAP 2019

Woman finds camera hidden in deodorant in Sydney hostel bathroom

A TOURIST from Hong Kong has been charged after a woman found a camera hidden inside a deodorant stick in a shared bathroom at a hostel in Sydney’s famous Bondi Beach.

The 27-year-old, on holidays from France, apparently shared the en suite bathroom with the man, who she did not know, at the hostel on Lamrock Avenue.

It’s understood she had just finished having a shower at around 10.00pm on Monday when she noticed a toiletry bag on the sink.

Inside she allegedly found what appeared to be a small camera hidden within a deodorant stick.

She took photos of the device before notifying police who were quick to arrest a 36-year-old man, holidaying in Australia from Hong Kong.

Police will allege the remnants of a smashed camera were found when the man was searched.

A further search of the man’s property also uncovered a number of hard drives and storage devices which police will allege contained further videos of women in private acts.

The man has now been charged with install device, adapt building etc to observe or film other, and possess surveillance devices intend unlawful use.

He has been refused bail to appear in Waverley Local Court today.

Michael Daley steps down as NSW Labor Leader as Coalition clinches majority

New South Wales Opposition Leader Michael Daley has stood down from his position until a leadership ballot can be held.

Mr Daley’s leadership has come under enormous pressure following Labor’s poor showing in Saturday’s state election, where the ALP has only manage to pick up two seats from the Coalition.

Labor was seen as a chance of snatching victory until the leaking of a video of Mr Daley attacking Asian migrants, and embarrassing stumbles during a people’s forum derailed the party’s campaign in the final week.

The New South Wales Labor Party announced today that a leadership ballot would be delayed until after the Federal Election so as not to interfere with campaigning.

In a statement, Mr Daley said standing down was the right thing to do, but plans to put his hand up for the role again.

“It is in keeping with the spirit of the State Labor Party’s Caucus rules requiring a rank and file election of the Leader.”

“To do otherwise would be an unnecessary distraction from the task of electing a Shorten Labor Government in a few weeks time.”

“I will be contesting the leadership when nominations are called for that position.”

Deputy Labor Leader Penny Sharpe will be the party’s interim leader until the ballot is held.

No other Labor MPs have yet confirmed if they will run for the leadership.

However Kogarah MP Chris Minns is expected to challenge Mr Daley, while Shadow Transport Spokesperson Jodi McKay is also being encouraged to run.

Meantime Premier Gladys Berejiklian has secured majority Government for the Coalition as counting continues.

The Coalition has picked up the 47th seat needed to govern in its own right after Nationals candidate Dugald Saunders pulled ahead of Labor in the seat of Dubbo.

ABC election analyst Antony Green has also declared that Labor has picked up the northern New South Wales seat of Lismore from the Nationals.

The Sydney seat of East Hills remains the only seat in doubt, with Liberal candidate Wendy Lindsay leading Labor’s Cameron Murphy.

Croc found in NSW home, ex-bikie charged

A former motorcycle gang member has been charged after a crocodile, a luxury car, two motorcycles and a jet ski were seized from a Sydney home last month.

The freshwater crocodile was found along with cash and suspected stolen vehicles during a February 22 police search of a Colebee home in Sydney’s west.

Police said no one at the residence held a wildlife exhibitor’s licence for the reptile.

A 24-year-old former Finks member was arrested at the home last Friday and he has been charged with dealing in protected animals.

PHOTO: Supplied by NSW Police Force

The man was also charged with four counts of dealing with property suspected of being proceeds of crime and two counts of possessing a vehicle or vessel where the unique identifier has been interfered with.

He was granted bail and is due to appear at the Blacktown Local Court on April 29.

© AAP 2019

Fire NSW Police Crash

Husband killed in horror crash

A MAN has died following a horror crash involving a car and a truck in country NSW.

It happened on the Newell Highway, about 10km south of Gilgandra, on Saturday night.

Police said a Mitsubishi SUV collided with a truck about 6pm.

The male driver of the SUV and a woman, believed to be his wife, were injured in the collision.

The couple, aged in their 80s, was taken by ambulance to Gilgandra Hospital for treatment.

Sadly, NSW Police confirmed the man later died from his injuries.

His wife was transferred to Dubbo Hospital for further treatment.

The truck driver, a 59-year-old man from Benalla, Victoria, was uninjured.

He was taken to Gilgandra Hospital for mandatory testing.

Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the crash and will prepare a report for the Coroner.

Anyone with information about the crash, or who has dashcam vision, is urged to contact police.

If you have information for Police, please contact NSW Police on 131 444 or provide information using their online form 24 hours per day. 

You can report also information about crime anonymously to Crime Stoppers by calling 1800 333 000 or via nsw.crimestoppers.com.au 24 hours per day. Crime Stoppers is a registered charity and community volunteer organisation.