Court

SA driving examiner jailed for six years

A SOUTH Australian driving instructor and examiner who accepted cash bribes to pay for escort services and trips to massage parlours has been sentenced to six years behind bars.

Jawad Joe Dimachki earned more than $15,000 by charging learner drivers between $400 and $500 for a guaranteed pass in their driving test.

The 38-year-old pleaded guilty to 25 corruption offences in relation to the scam, which he carried out over three months in mid-2017, and said he used the profits to help care for his special needs son.

In sentencing on Friday, Judge Michael Boylan acknowledged Dimachki’s son did need help which sometimes cost about $175 each week, but the family was not in financial difficulty.

“You had money in the bank and you and your wife owned an investment property,” he said.

“You did not offend out of need, you offended, at least partly, out of greed.”

Judge Boylan said Dimachki would have suffered humiliation at the true use of the money, and he has brought “huge shame” on his wife and two young sons.

“I have no doubt that they have suffered much and will continue to suffer much on account of your offending and your general behaviour,” he said.

Dimachki’s scheme came unstuck after authorities noticed an unusually high pass rate among his licence test candidates.

Judge Boylan said a number of students he had approved for licences subsequently failed a legitimate driving test, and his behaviour posed a risk to drivers and the community.

“(Your offending) comprised a course of concentrated and sustained corruption in the public service – corruption which put South Australian and indeed Australian road users at risk,” he said.

Last year, Abdul Kajani and Ethan Quadros received suspended sentences after Quadros paid Dimachki a bribe for Kajani’s certificate.

Dimachki was handed a non-parole period of two years, nine months, and will be eligible for parole at the end of 2021.

© AAP 2019

Phone Call

Crimestoppers call could solve cold case

THIRTY years after the murder of a South Australian businessman, detectives believe a caller to Crime Stoppers may hold the key to catching his killers.

Whyalla businessman Peter Seaford was brutally murdered in his own home in the early hours of March 12, 1989 with the takings from the service station he part owned also stolen.

Police are calling on a person who contacted Crime Stoppers last month with some information about the death to make contact with them again.

“It would be of great benefit to the investigation if the person who provided this information was to make further contact with us,” Detective Senior Sergeant Schneemilch said on Sunday.

“They can do that via Crime Stoppers, or by calling Major Crime directly.”

Police believe Mr Seaford may have been killed after he fought with an intruder, pulling off a home-made balaclava and possibly identifying his attacker.

“The injuries he’s suffered show this was a sustained attack and he’s fought back,” Detective Schneemilch said.

“He had quite a lot of defensive wounds on both arms.”

Police believe there may have been more than one person involved in the murder and have positive lines of inquiry, but say there is still a lot of work to be done “to join the dots”.

A person made contact with Crime Stoppers on 17 February on the website and provided information that suggested they have knowledge about the murder.

A reward of up to $200,000 will be paid by the SA government, at the discretion of the police commissioner, to anyone who provides information that leads to the conviction of the person or people responsible for Mr Seaford’s murder.

© AAP 2019

One dead, three injured in separate boat crashes

A FATHER-of-three has been killed and three other man badly injured – two of them critically – in separate but equally horrific boating accidents in South Australia.

The first happened on the Murray River in the dead of night on Friday, about 10pm, police said.

It’s understood two men were on a four-metre aluminium boat which collided with a second vessel near Murray Bridge, about 10km upstream from Swan Reach.

The two men on board were badly injured in the collision and airlifted to the Royal Adelaide Hospital.

Sadly, one of the men, a 37-year-old father-of-three from Gawler South, died on hospital late on Saturday night.

The second man, a 40-year-old from Gawler East, remains in a serious but stable condition.

In a statement, SA Police said initial information had indicated that no other vessel was involved in the collision but new details had since come to light, suggesting otherwise.

Detectives from Murray Bridge are investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident and will prepare a report for the information of the Coroner.

Meanwhile, less than 24 hours later, emergency services were called to a second accident involving two speed boats at Robe, in the state’s southeast.

SA Police said the two vessels collided during a ski race about 2.15pm on Saturday, leaving two men with life-threatening injuries.

The men, both believed to be aged in their 30s, were reportedly taking part in the Fury on the Bay festival when tragedy struck.

It’s understood one of the boats speared into the side of the other after it spun out on the final turn while competing in a selection race for the world ski racing championships in France.

They both suffered life-threatening head injuries and were airlifted to a hospital in Adelaide for treatment.

Limestone Coast Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident.

Crime Scene Tape

Man charged with murder after body found in home

A MAN has been charged with murder after allegedly killing a man more than 30 years his senior at a house in Adelaide.

Police and paramedics were called to a home on Urban Avenue, in the suburb of Paradise, just before 5.30am on Friday.

SA Police confirmed officers arrived to find the body of a 65-year-old man inside the home.

Despite the best efforts of paramedics, the victim could not be revived and was pronounced dead at the scene.

It’s not known how the man died, or whether he was found with any visible injuries.

A 35-year-old man from the address was arrested and taken into custody.

In a statement a short time ago, SA Police confirmed the 35-year-old man would be charged with murder.

“The people involved are known to each other,” police said in the statement.

“Police will refuse bail and the arrested man is expected to appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court at the earliest opportunity.”

The relationship between the two men is not known.