Horse Whip

Whip to stay for safety: racing boss

Racing Victoria boss Giles Thompson says the whip will stay in horse racing for safety reasons.

Problems with the whip were a “perception problem” because the whip was padded and the way it was allowed to be used had changed, he said.

“The one thing that will remain is that the whip is necessary for safety for the jockey on top to control the horse when safety becomes an issue,” Mr Thompson told the ABC on Monday.

“Ultimately it will go, I think the community will demand it goes and I think basically we’ll have it go but it will stay for safety reasons.”

“It will go for encouragement reasons at some point in the future.”

Mr Thompson said Racing Victoria was already using the betting money that fills its coffers to fund horse welfare programs.

“Those funds are coming from both the Racing Victoria coffers and also as deductions from prize money,” Mr Thompson said.

He said the one per cent levy on prize money would double to two per cent next year.

Mr Thompson pointed to a program launched last week that would focus on the horse breeding industry.

The horse racing industry has been under fire since an ABC 7:30 report in last month which revealed hundreds of racing horses were being abused before they were sent to the slaughterhouse.

There have been calls by some groups for a royal commission into the industry.

Mr Thompson said some would have been shocked by the report but he said the industry was “tackling the challenges”.

© AAP 2019

pumpkin light Halloween

Child rushed to hospital after ingesting ‘unknown substance’ while trick or treating

A little girl has been hospitalised after ingesting an “unknown substance” while trick or treating in Melbourne overnight.

According to local media, the pre-school aged child was taking part in the annual Halloween activities in Bacchus Marsh when she fell ill.

It’s understood the youngster may have ingested prescription medication instead of lollies.

Thankfully the girl’s mother noticed something wasn’t right and called an ambulance straight away.

The child was rushed to hospital, where she remains this morning in a stable condition.

It’s not known if the incident is sinister or not, however police have confirmed they’re investigating.

“Investigators have been told that the child may have ingested a prescription medication and are currently making inquiries as to how this happened,” Victoria Police said in a statement.

“Police have not received any other reports of any similar incidents in the area.”

Playful puppy sets Melbourne home ablaze

If you play with fire, you get burnt.

It was a hard lesson to learn for Archie the 10-month-old puppy, after he set his owner’s Melbourne home ablaze last week.

The French Bulldog Boston Terrier cross can be seen on home security camera jumping on a couch and chewing on a lighter before it erupts in flames on October 16.

His owner Dee said she left Archie alone in her Ringwood unit about 9am and four minutes later, when she checked in on her playful pup via CCTV, saw the incident unfold.

“I think he grabbed it off the TV unit or something and it must’ve sparked and the couch caught fire,” she told 3AW on Friday.

She called fire crews, who were already alerted to the blaze.

Neighbours were evacuated and firefighters brought the fire under control in four minutes.

The damage bill is expected to tally thousands of dollars.

“The insurance company told me all my contents are gone and the whole thing probably needs to be replastered and new floors and new cupboards, new aircon,” Dee said.

Luckily for Archie, he is not in the doghouse.

Dee still thinks he is “cute” and even changed his name to “Archie the arsonist” on his Instagram page.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

We’ve had a ruff week ! #archiethefrenchton #frenchton #bostonterrier #boston #pupsofinstagram #cute #naughtypup

A post shared by Archie (@archie_the_arsonist) on

“I’m just glad he’s okay. He could’ve been so much worse,” she said.

“He was really sooty, but I’m so glad he’s okay.”

Investigators confirmed the fire was ignited by the dog playing with an unattended lighter.

MFB Commander Graeme O’Sullivan warned any item that can start a fire should be kept out of reach of not only children, but pets too.

“Having these items in a place where they can find their way into little hands or paws is dangerous – they should be kept in a safe place like a high cupboard,” he said.

© AAP 2019

Hospital

‘Missing’ man actually dead in Vic morgue

A family and police spent a week searching for a Victorian man who had died in hospital.

Victoria Police confirmed on Thursday the force is looking into the case after receiving a missing person’s report on September 27, seven days after the man died at University Hospital Geelong.

The man, aged in his 50s, was brought in to emergency for a heart attack on September 20 and died, but staff attempts to contact the next of kin were unsuccessful.

Barwon Health says it notified police of the death and the body was sent to the coroner’s mortuary in Melbourne.

“As the case was an unexpected death and the relatives could not be contacted, the matter was referred to the coroner,” the health service said in a statement.

“Once referred to the coroner, it is the role of the police and the coroner to work together to notify the family.

“The police also attempted to contact the next of kin, and we are advised that they attended the last known address of the next of kin. The emergency department staff also contacted the patient’s listed GP.”

Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton said police were following up the bungle.

“We’re certainly chasing it up today and trying to give family as much information as we can from our side of things,” Mr Ashton told 3AW.

“This is clearly a case where there’s a mishap, in that the family haven’t been notified when they should’ve been notified, and we have to make sure we look at how we get that right.”

Health Minister Jenny Mikakos and Premier Daniel Andrews both apologised to the family.

“I’ve asked my department to contact Barwon Health as a matter of urgency to seek some explanations about these very serious allegations,” Ms Mikakos told reporters.

“The matter is very concerning, I’m very troubled by what has been alleged.”

© AAP 2019

Boys accidentally unloaded into garbage truck while hiding in dumpster

TWO young boys have had an extremely lucky escape after a shopping centre dumpster they were hiding in was unloaded into a garbage truck.

The pair, aged 11 and 14, were allegedly hiding from security at a centre in Broadmeadows, Melbourne, when they hopped into a dumpster around 4am this morning.

To their surprise, a waste collection truck came to do its morning pick-up, and unloaded the rubbish, including the two boys, into the truck.

Ironically, the truck then drove to a nearby police station for its next waste collection when the driver thankfully heard the boys screaming for help from the back of the truck.

Police said in a statement that they removed the pair, who were known to them, out of the vehicle.

It’s understood they suffered minor injuries in the ordeal and were assessed at the scene by paramedics.

No further police action was taken.