Crime Scene Tape

Man charged with burning brother alive to stay behind bars

UPDATE August 28 2017, 9:30am: The man charged with killing his own brother inside a Nerang home will spend at least another month behind bars.

Ethan Clarke, who did not appear at Southport Magistrates Court this morning, had his matter adjourned until September 29.

The 22-year-old is charged with murdering his older brother Reece.

It’s alleged he doused him in petrol while he slept in his bed, before setting him alight, around 1.30am on Saturday.

 

 

EARLIER @ August 26 2017, 6:00pm: A MAN in his 20s is tonight behind bars charged with murder after he allegedly burnt his older brother alive in a horrifying attack on the Gold Coast.

The dreadful scenes played out at the family home on Bushmead Street in Nerang around 1.30am on Saturday.

Ethan Clarke, 22, is alleged to have soaked his 26-year-old brother, Reece, in fuel before setting him on fire.

Reece suffered life-threatening burns to his chest, pelvis, face, thighs, and arms and was rushed to the Gold Coast University Hospital in a critical condition.

Barely breathing and clinging to life, he was then flown to the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital.

Sadly though, Reece’s burns were too severe and he couldn’t be saved. Police confirmed in a statement he succumbed to his injuries and passed away in hospital on Saturday morning.

Speaking to reporters, Detective Senior Sergeant Mark Proctor said Reece’s burns were “as bad as they get”.

“It’s a horrific event,” he said. “… it’s a very traumatic day for [the family], and anyone who attended the address.”

Reece’s younger 22-year-old brother Ethan has been charged with his murder.

He’d allegedly fled the house before police arrived and was arrested in Brisbane around 5.30am.

He’ll face Southport Magistrates Court on Monday.

Both brothers lived at the Nerang home with their 54-year-old mother and father who were also injured trying to extinguish the flames which had killed their oldest son.

 

If you or someone you know is impacted by sexual assault or family violence, call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732 or visit www.1800RESPECT.org.au – In an emergency, call 000.

Are you struggling to cope? For help and information, contact Lifeline on 13 11 14, or beyondblue on 1300 224 636.

Garry Ablett Jnr

Ablett ruled out after failing fitness test

Almost to tease Suns fans, Ablett was named in the side to play Port Adelaide this weekend, only to fail a fitness test just two hours later.

Earlier on Thursday, interim coach Dean Solomon said Ablett was likely to play against Port Adelaide.

“I had a really good conversation with him five minutes ago and he said he’s feeling really confident,” Solomon said.

“You back his judgement, he’s earnt a lot of trust over the years and he knows his body better than us all.”

The dual Brownlow medallist has struggled with hamstring injuries the last few weeks and has missed their last two games.

Suns General Manager of Football Operations, Marcus Ashcroft, said it was a shame Ablett wasn’t able to prove his fitness.

“Gaz gave himself the best opportunity to play this weekend,” Ashcroft said.

“But unfortunately at training this evening he simply could not reach the speed required to be passed fit to play this weekend.”

Ablett will be replaced in the selected side by Mitch Hallahan.

Jack Bowes, who injured his hamstring during the training session has also been ruled out of the match.  He will be replaced by Brad Scheer.

Alex Sexton has been added to the squad as an emergency.

Ablett’s injuries continue to add to the speculation he’ll try and move to Geelong in 2018, despite having a year left on his contract at the Suns.

Australians have until midnight tonight to enrol for same-sex marriage survey

AUSTRALIANS have until just midnight tonight (Thursday) to enroll or update their details with the Australian Electoral Commission so they can have their say in the upcoming same-sex marriage postal survey.

More than 54,000 new voters have enrolled in the last two weeks, while more than half-a-million people have logged on to the AEC website to update their details.

Meanwhile, MTV Australia has thrown its weight behind the yes campaign and replaced 12 hours of its regular programming with an automated message, urging its youthful audience to register to vote before it’s too late.

The popular network has scrapped today’s usual lineup of music and entertainment programs to air a visual loop containing a pro-marriage equality message and the address to the AEC website.

The blackout will affect MTV, MTV Music, MTV Classive and MTV Dance from 6am to 6pm.

Head of MTV Asia Pacific Simon Bates said it was important for the network to show its support.

“As a leading youth entertainment brand that supports inclusiveness and equal rights for all Australians, MTV wants to encourage young Australians to get out and do their part in ensuring their voices are heard,” he said.

Forms for the postal vote will start being mailed out to eligible Australians from Tuesday, 12 September.

They’ll come with a reply paid envelope, with Australians encouraged to mail their forms back to the AEC by Friday, 27 October. Responses received after November 7 will not be processed.

The results of the $122 million non-binding vote will be published on the Australian Bureau of Statistics website on Wednesday, November 15.

To register to vote or update your address to ensure you receive your ballot, visit the Australian Electoral Commission’s website.

For more information on the postal vote, formally known as the Australian Marriage Law Postal Survey, click here.

Deborah Kelly

WATCH: Opponents of Bruce Bishop Car Park sale to meet ‘Virtual Tom’ at drinks event

Gold Coasters opposed to the sale of the Bruce Bishop Car Park will rally together over a few drinks this Wednesday night.

Save Surfers Paradise is hosting a campaign event at the Surfers Paradise Surf Life Saving Club at 5:30pm. Organiser Deborah Kelly told myGC there will be a special guest in attendance during the evening.

“We invited Mayor Tom Tate to come but he declined,” she told myGC.

“So our special guest will be Virtual Tom, version 1.0, and he will have plenty to say about the sale of the Bruce Bishop Car Park.”

Mayor Tom Tate said he declined the invitation out of respect for the Council.

“Council has made the decision to sell the Transit Centre to fund future open space in Surfers Paradise, and the world-class cultural precinct.

“As such, I respect the decision of Council.

“This group has also threatened legal action so it is inappropriate for me to meet with a group threatening such action,” he said.

Learn more about Wednesday night’s Sunset Drinks event by watching the video below:

For more information about Save Surfers Paradise visit: savesurfersparadise.com

Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate looking serious

Evandale Lake to be drained today, in an attempt to find stonefish

The Gold Coast City Council will start draining Evandale Lake today in an attempt to find the potentially deadly stonefish in its waters.

More than a month after a video revealed the poisonous fish, Council will begin a two-week long operation to drain the lake and hopefully capture the stonefish after initial attempts to use nets and divers were unsuccessful.

The Mayor said he wasn’t going to risk anyone getting injured from the poisonous fish.

“I said I would leave no stone unturned, especially with the stonefish,” he said.

“We’ve tried all the low value operations, now the next stage is to pump out the lake.”

Mayor Tom Tate said they’ll use this opportunity to make necessary upgrades to the lake built in the 1970’s.

“It hasn’t been emptied for a couple of decades, so we’ll be removing anything dirty or filthy from the lake,” he said.

“By the time we’re finished it’s going to be like new again.”