Speeding Police Car

3 dead, 5 injured after tram shooting in the Netherlands

Three people have died and multiple injured after a shooter opened fire on a tram in the Netherlands.

It’s believed the gunman shot dead three people and wounded another five, before escaping the tram and running.

The Dutch university city of Utrecht was put into lock down following the shooting, which occurred after rush hour on Monday morning.

Schools shut their doors and security was increased at airports and other vital infrastructure.

A Turkish man has since been taken into custody, after an hours-long manhunt.

Police conducted several raids throughout the city, and issued photos of the man, warning the public not to approach him.

The 37-year-old’s motive is still unclear to investigators.

Guns

NZ cabinet to discuss gun law changes

New Zealand’s cabinet is expected to consider tighter gun laws today, following the devastating terror attack in Christchurch last week.

The country’s Prime Minister, Jacinta Ardern, said many options will be considered when parliament meets.

It’s believed a ban on private ownership of semi-automatic rifles will be at the forefront of considerations, as well as a government-funded buyback of newly outlawed guns.

The announcement of the potential law change has prompted an increase of gun purchases across the country.

Ms Ardern says this information will be investigated, but that the laws still need to change and she will not back down either way.

It came after the discovery that the terrorist involved in Friday’s tragedy possessed five guns.

It’s believed he obtained a licence in November 2017 allowing him to buy weapons, beginning from the following month.

New Zealand’s biggest gun show, set to be held in Auckland this weekend, has been cancelled out of respect for the victims of the attack.

At the time of writing, 34 people remain in hospital, 12 in a critical condition.

Earlier article: “Our gun laws will change”: NZ PM Jacinda Ardern in wake of Christchurch massacre

Calls for more action on far-right terror

Counter-terrorism expert and Labor MP Anne Aly has called for a substantial change in the way far-right extremists are targeted by authorities after the devastating Christchurch mosque massacre.

An Australian man, Brenton Tarrant from Grafton in NSW, has been charged with murder over the mass shooting that claimed the lives of 50 people.

The 28-year-old posted a 74-page “manifesto” online before the attack, and a 17-minute live streamed video was uploaded of him arming himself and entering the mosque where he started shooting.

Dr Aly said while more could be done to target threats online, she was aware companies were acting to stamp out extremist activity.

“What we don’t want is a situation where we’re playing a game of whack-a-mole where we take down one and 10 more show up in its place,” she told ABC radio on Monday.

“What we want is some kind of substantial change.”

“It’s one thing to have the powers, it’s another thing to direct them towards white supremacist movements and to recognise the seriousness of that threat.”
Muslim Greens senator Mehreen Faruqi also called for more focus on far-right terror.

“I think there are serious questions to be asked about how much attention agencies and governments have been paying to right-wing extremists,” she told ABC Radio National.

“Whenever we raised those issues we’ve been told we have a victim mentality or we’re being too politically correct. I think now is the time to actually listen and act.”

She said Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton and other Liberal politicians had created an atmosphere which incubated hate in society.

“What they’ve been doing does come with a cost, it does come with consequences because really they’ve been playing games with our lives,” Senator Faruqi said.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has taken aim at social media companies for not doing enough to ensure Friday’s live streamed attack, which was originally uploaded to Facebook, was not republished.

Former crossbench senator David Leyonhjelm, who is running for a seat in the NSW upper house, believes authorities should be using increased powers to stop terrorism.

“The responsibility is on them to use those powers to make sure that they identify the individuals who are in danger of doing these sorts of atrocities,” he told the ABC.

ASIO Director-General Duncan Lewis and Australian Federal Police Commissioner Andrew Colvin are expected to address a special meeting of federal cabinet’s national security committee on Monday.

© AAP 2019

Hundreds of Gold Coast students striking for climate change action

Update @11.00am: Over 200 students are half way through a 2 hour protest out the front of Federal MP Karen Andrews’ office in Varsity Lakes.

They’ve skipped school to join in on a global protest, demanding faster action on climate change.

Vivi Baker from Somerset College spoke to myGC from the rally, saying the heaps of students are having their say this morning, though there is still no sign of Minister Andrews.

“It’s been this long and we haven’t been heard from our politicians, it would be disheartening but not surprising,” Ms Baker said. (if Ms Andrews didn’t show up)

While the rally has eventuated as part of a global protest started by a teenager in Sweden, Australian students have their own demands of the Australian government.

1 – Stop the Adani coal mine

2 – keep all coal and fossil fuels in the ground and not dig out any more

3 – To be fully on renewable energy 100 percent by 2030.

The students will stay out the front of MP Karen Andrews’ office until noon today.

The protest has come under fire for being held during school hours, over fears their missing out on their education, though Ms Baker has one simply response.

“This is our future, and this is more important than a morning of classes,” she said.

Scenes at the Gold Coast rally this morning. PHOTO | Supplied Samantha Morris

Scenes at the Gold Coast rally this morning. PHOTO | Supplied Samantha Morris

Earlier @6.30am: Hundreds of Gold Coast students are going to skip school today, to join a global protest demanding faster action on climate change.

The protest, started by a teenager in Sweden, is already being described as the ‘biggest day of action Gold Coast students have participated in for a number of generations’.

On the Gold Coast, students will be gathering outside Federal MP Karen Andrew’s from 10.00am this morning.

Though the Minister for Industry, Science and Technology won’t be there to hear the students’ concerns, and says they could have picked a better time.

“I think children should be in class during school hours and parents should be encouraging that, but I do hope those who attend demonstrate peacefully,” Minister Andrews said.

Though the Member for McPherson also says that enough is being done by the Coalition Government, to tackle the important issue of climate change.

“We recently announced our $3.5 billion Climate Solutions Package to reduce emissions across a range of industries.

“With our policies, the Coalition Government is on track to have a 40 percent renewable energy mix by 2030.

“Labor’s promising 50 percent but that extra 10 percent will cost the economy $472 billion, slash 336,000 jobs and cut the average Australians wage by $9,000 a year.”

The planned rallies have been causing controversy all over the country, will some concerned that students don’t even know what their protesting, and just wanting a day off school.

In response to the call that students should strike outside of school hours, Narii Salmon and two others from Miami High School that participating in protest is a valuable lesson on its own.

“We go to school to learn new information and to build who we are as a person.

“Striking and protesting does the exact same thing!

“While being a part of the climate action movement I have learnt so much about climate change, democracy, how to protest and how to organise,” Mr Salmon said.

16-year-old activist Greta Thunberg – the swedish student who started the protest – has rallied students worldwide to join the global movement, and has even been nominated for a Nobel peace prize.

Court

Alleged drunk, unlicensed driver charged with killing two women

UPDATE at 12:40 PM | AN alleged drunk and unlicensed driver charged with killing two women in a horrifying crash in Sydney has faced court.

Tyron Knodler, 21, was allegedly behind the wheel of a stolen Toyota Landcruiser which crashed into a Honda Jazz in Peakhurst on Tuesday.

The driver of the small car, a 66-year-old woman from Runaway Bay on the Gold Coast, and her friend and passenger, a 62-year-old woman from Padstow Heights in Sydney’s southwest, were killed in the collision.

Two other passengers from the Honda – the younger woman’s 58-year-old husband and another 62-year-old woman from the Gold Coast – were taken to hospital for treatment.

It’s understood the two Gold Coast women had travelled from Queensland to Sydney to visit their friends from Padstow Heights and were returning home from dinner when tragedy struck on Tuesday night.

Knodler allegedly tried running from the scene but was chased down and detained by members of the public.

He was allegedly drunk and returned a breath analysis reading of 0.166 at Kogarah Police Station.

It was also revealed the 21-year-old had never held a NSW driver’s licence.

He appeared briefly in Sutherland Local Court on Thursday morning, charged with 11 offences, including two counts of manslaughter.

The 21-year-old did not apply for bail and will return to court in May 13.

EARLIER at 6:30 AM THURSDAY (by Rachel Junge) | A MAN has been charged with manslaughter over a shocking car crash in Sydney’s southwest that killed two women.

The 21-year-old was allegedly drunk and unlicensed when behind the wheel of a stolen Toyota Landcruiser on Tuesday night.

The 4WD collided with a Honda Jazz on Henry Lawson Drive in Peakhurst about 8pm, killing a 66-year-old woman from Runaway Bay, who was driving the small car, as well as a 62-year-old woman from Padstow Heights who was seated behind her.

Two other passengers, a 58-year-old man and 62-year-old woman also from Queensland, were taken to hospital for treatment in a stable condition.

The man allegedly ran from the scene, with witnesses chasing him down.

FIRST on WEDNESDAY, MARCH 13 (by Monique StClair) | A GOLD Coast woman and another woman have tragically died after a car crash in Sydney last night.

The 66-year-old woman from Runaway Bay was driving a small car with three other people in Peakhurst, when they were involved in a crash with a stolen vehicle around 8.00pm.

Emergency services were called to the scene on Henry Lawson Drive, following reports a Landcruiser had collided with a small Honda Jazz.

Paramedics arrived to find the Runaway Bay woman and another 62-year-old woman from Padstow Heights with critical injuries.

They were unable to be saved, and died at the scene.

The two others in the Jazz – a 58-year-old Padstow Heights man, and a 62-year-old woman, also from Runaway Bay – were taken to St George Hospital where they remain in a stable condition.

A 21-year-old man is the alleged driver of the Landcruiser, which was reported as stolen outside a home in Monterey on Monday.

It’s believed he fled the scene after the crash and was followed by members of the public who had called police.

Acting on information provided, officers from St George Police Area Command arrested the man a short time later in Park Street.

The man, from Revesby, returned a positive roadside breath test and was taken to Kogarah Police Station where a breath analysis returned a reading of 0.166.

He’s was taken to hospital for assessment where he remains under police guard in hospital, while investigations continue.

It’s been revealed the man has never held a NSW driver’s licence.

Officers from Crash Investigation Unit are now investigating the circumstances surrounding the crash.

If you have information for Police, please contact NSW Police on 131 444 or provide information using their online form 24 hours per day. 

You can report also information about crime anonymously to Crime Stoppers by calling 1800 333 000 or via nsw.crimestoppers.com.au 24 hours per day. Crime Stoppers is a registered charity and community volunteer organisation.