Princess Charlotte

Gorgeous new photos released as Princess Charlotte turns 4

AS WE ALL patiently wait for news on the arrival of Baby Sussex, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have released three gorgeous new photos of Princess Charlotte.

The series of photographs, taken by her mother Kate, are to celebrate Charlotte’s fourth birthday.

They were released via the Kensington Palace Instagram page and feature two taken of the Princess dressed in a grey cardigan and tartan skirt, and another of her in a floral summer dress.

“Happy Birthday Princess Charlotte!” the caption reads.

“The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are very pleased to share three new photographs of Princess Charlotte ahead of her fourth birthday,” it continues.

“The photographs were taken in April by The Duchess at Kensington Palace and at their home in Norfolk.”

The first two show striking similarities between the young royal and her great-grandmother, Queen Elizabeth.

The celebration comes just days after Prince William and wife Kate marked their eighth wedding anniversary.

While Charlotte’s younger brother, Prince Louis, turned one on April 23.

Their older brother, Prince George, will turn six on July 22.

 

Assange gets 50 weeks in jail

Update at 9.15pm: WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has been sentenced in London to 50 weeks in jail for skipping bail in the UK in 2012, Sky News reports.

Earlier at 8.45pm: WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has appeared in a London court to be sentenced for breaking bail to enter the Ecuadorian embassy seven years ago.

Assange, who was dragged out of the embassy last month and charged by the United States for one of the biggest ever leaks of classified information, wore a black jacket over a grey sweatshirt.

Appearing before Southwark Crown Court on Wednesday, Assange confirmed his name and sipped water from a plastic cup.

He was convicted last month of skipping bail in 2012 after an extradition order to Sweden over an allegation of rape. The maximum sentence is a year in jail.

“I apologise unreservedly to those who consider I have disrespected them by the way I have pursued my case,” Assange said in a letter that was read to the court by his lawyer, Mark Summers.

“I found myself struggling with terrifying circumstances. I did at the time what I thought was best.”

Summers told the court that Assange had “strongly held fears” in 2012 that he would be sent from Sweden to the United States and ultimately to the Guantanamo Bay detention centre in Cuba.

Summers cited the arrest and treatment of Chelsea Manning, a US Army soldier who served seven years in military prison for leaking classified data while she was working as an intelligence analyst in Iraq.

Just hours after Assange was removed from the Ecuadorian embassy on April 11, US prosecutors said they had charged Assange with conspiracy in trying to access a classified US government computer with Manning in 2010.

Assange’s lawyer said Manning, who is transgender, had been subjected to sleep deprivation and forced to parade naked in front of military personnel.

WikiLeaks angered Washington by publishing hundreds of thousands of secret US diplomatic cables that laid bare often highly critical US appraisals of world leaders, from Russian President Vladimir Putin to members of the Saudi royal family.

Assange made international headlines in early 2010 when WikiLeaks published a classified US military video showing a 2007 attack by Apache helicopters in Baghdad that killed a dozen people, including two Reuters news staff.

To some, Assange is a hero for exposing what supporters cast as abuse of power by modern states and for championing free speech. But to others, he is a dangerous rebel who has undermined US security.

© AAP 2019

Search for man who stole donation tins from Gold Coast surf club

A Gold Coast Surf Club is pleading for public help to identify a man who stole stole two donation tins last week.

A man walked into the Burleigh Heads Mowbray Park Surf Club on Tuesday, April 23 around 8.30am, taking one tin from the restaurant area of the club before a second tin was taken from the kiosk.

The theft was captured on CCTV with the club now hoping it won’t be long before the man is tracked down.

Club President Michael Boyce says because it was early in the morning, not many people were around at the time.

“It is disappointing. We can only look at it as someone gaining some easy money so we’re disappointed as a volunteer organisation,” Mr Boyoce told myGC.

Club officials aren’t sure exactly how much was in the the tins but they often collect between $400 and $500 each month.

“Some people are very generous they give us $20, $10, sometimes even $50.”

Mr Boyce says over 12 months, the money collected from the tins runs into the thousands of dollars.

“We use it for our general lifesaving expenses, anything from buying equipment, sometimes to just paying the cost of a running a surf club whether that’s insurances and those types of things.”

Does anyone know this person, as it seems the Surf Club Donation tin has gone missing.

Posted by The Surf Club Burleigh Heads on Monday, 29 April 2019

The club is yet to report the theft to Police but is hoping someone will recognise the man, or that the thief will return the tins.

“There has been a great response from the general public to our post which we greatly appreciate and we are hoping that someone can provide further information.”

If you have information for Police, please contact Policelink on 131 444 or provide information using their online form 24 hours per day.

You can also report information about crime anonymously to Crime Stoppers by calling 1800 333 000 or via crimestoppersqld.com.au 24 hours per day. Crime Stoppers is a registered charity and community volunteer organisation.

Arms Crossed

Is this age discrimination – or school of hard knocks?

You often hear about job discrimination in Australia in terms of our aging population. Older Australians are falling into poverty at an alarming rate – and single females are the most at risk.

What we don’t hear as much about is younger Australians being discriminated against.

Recently I was chatting with a friend of colleague, who I met at a networking event. She was raging about the “discrimination” her 22-year-old son had received during a job interview.

“At the interview they asked him his age, and when he told them he was 22, they said ‘we’re sorry, we’re looking for a junior to fill this position as we don’t want to pay adult wages’,” she said.

That was the end of the interview, then and there. He was understandably miffed. He went home and told mum, and she became apoplectic with anger. By the time I was chatting with her, two days later, she was ready to report the company to Fair Work Australia.

Let’s be clear: she has every right to report this company, because asking someone their age during an interview is illegal.

My question is: should she really bother?

The company was clearly hiring for a junior role – one with junior responsibilities and a junior pay packet attached to it. There are legitimate operational reasons for wanting to hire a younger person (and the fact that they got to interview stage without checking his age reeks of a sloppy employer to me…).

I remember a similar scenario happening to me when I was a student, aged 18. I applied for a casual weekend job working at a retail shop at Pacific Fair; the assistant manager and I had a quick chat and she said my availability perfectly fit with what they needed.

She asked me to come back the next day to interview with the manager. When I turned up, the manager said: “I’m sorry we won’t be going ahead with the interview; we’re really looking for someone 16/17 years old.”

Even at 18, I could read between the lines and knew they wanted someone “cheaper”. I didn’t think of it as discrimination; just one of those things that happens in life.
I moved on pretty swiftly and got an even better job at a company that didn’t penny-pinch.

Situations like this make you resilient, right? They remind you that things aren’t always fair and they don’t always go your way.

But if this family does decide to push ahead with reporting, I reckon mum should butt out and let her son report it himself. This is the stuff that grit, learning and growth is made of – and he’s 22. More than old enough to fight his own battles!

Ambulance QLD

Teen hospitalised after overnight skateboarding incident on the Gold Coast

A teenager has been hospitalised after a skateboarding adventure in Miami very early this morning.

The male – believed to be in his late teens – suffered a wrist injury in a skateboard incident just after 1.00am.

It’s believed he fell off the skateboard.

Emergency Services were called to the scene on Pacific Avenue and Sonia Street at 1.15am.

They assessed the male teen briefly at the scene before taking him to Robina Hospital.

He’s believed to be in a stable condition.