Next week’s $80m is the highest jackpot in seven years

$80 million is up for grabs in Oz Lotto next Tuesday, after last night’s $70 million didn’t go off.

It seems no players held a division one winning entry in last night’s draw, which has now jackpotted to the highest level in seven years.

It’s the eighth consecutive week of a jackpot, so surely it’s going off next week!

While there were no entries that score the division one prize, a total of 1,086,052 winners won more than $24.93 million in division two to seven.

19 of those who scored a division two prize were just one number shy of division one.

They’ll each take home more than $37,000.

The Lott spokesperson Bronwyn Spencer said with $80 million on offer next week, Australians could experience a flashback to 2012.

“The last time Oz Lotto sky-rocketed this high Australians were dancing to Psy’s  ‘Gangnam style’ and listening to Carly Rae Jespen’s ‘Call Me Maybe’,” she said.

“It was a big year for sport after Team Australia earned 35 medals at the London Olympics, Sydney Swans were crowned the champions in the AFL grand final and the Melbourne Storm took home the title in the NRL grand final.

“Kim Kardashian and Kanye West started dating as Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes called it quits and Prince William and Kate Middleton announced they were expecting their first child.

“Back on home soil, 2012 saw Oz Lotto climb to a record-breaking $100 million – the last time the game offered a jackpot above $70 million.

“With up to one-in-four Australian adults expected to have an entry into the $80 million Oz Lotto draw next Tuesday, it is expected to be busy in outlets and online.

“With so many people getting their hands on an entry, we could be calling you maybe?”

So… get your tickets here.

Two shot, two arrested at Raptors parade

Two people have been shot at a parade on Monday to celebrate the NBA championship success of the Toronto Raptors.

Police said there were two arrests.

Droves of Raptors fans ran from the shooting in the City Hall square packed with tens of thousands of fans.

A million or more fans earlier packed downtown Toronto for a parade, raising safety concerns amid problems with overcrowding.

Toronto police spokeswoman Allison Sparkes confirmed the shootings and arrests. Two firearms were recovered.

“We have no incidents currently underway. Crowds are dispersing,” Sparkes said.

Asked if it was a targeted shooting or terrorism-related, Sparkes said the investigation was under way.

During a speech from one of the team owners the host of the rally interrupted the proceedings to say there were dealing with an emergency situation and asked for calm.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Toronto’s mayor, star player Kawhi Leonard the other players were among those on stage at the time. They remained in place and speeches resumed shortly after.

Mike Mudidi said he was enjoying the celebrations when he heard screams behind him that someone had pulled out a gun.

He said he froze as people started running in all directions.

“I just grabbed my buddies’ hands and ran,” he said, noting he was startled but otherwise OK.

Earlier in the day, Mayor John Tory urged every resident to come celebrate the Raptors’ first championship and declared this “We The North Day” in Toronto, after the franchise’s slogan.

Nicolas Caramanna, 21, said the crowd started to get rowdy shortly after he arrived at 9am.

“I’m really hot and tired, but I’m going to stick around,” he said. “When else am I going to get a chance to do this?”

A number of Raptors could not help but marvel at the fan response.

“It’s been amazing,” star forward Leonard said. “Thank you Toronto, thank you Canada for the support, we did it.”

Several fans were seen carrying signs imploring Leonard to re-sign with the Raptors. The two-time Finals MVP will be a free agent this summer.

Star guard Kyle Lowry, the team’s longest-serving member, was seen hoisting the Larry O’Brien Trophy while his teammates smoked cigars.

“This is unbelievable,” he said.

© RAW 2019

Prince Harry Meghan Markle

Prince Harry and Meghan share controversial Father’s Day photo

A seemingly innocuous photo showing baby Archie wrapping his tiny hand around his father’s middle finger has divided royal followers.

Prince Harry and wife Meghan shared the sepia image on their Instagram page overnight, as parts of the world celebrated Father’s Day.

The photo, where Harry’s hand partly obscures Archie’s face, was loved by thousands for its intimacy and capture of a moment all parents marvel in.

However, others criticised the couple for not showing “the whole Archie”.

“Hope we will receive a full picture of the little one. Strange they are hiding his face from the public after all this time showing off her baby bump,” one follower wrote.

Another had a completely different theory all together: “Meghan picked this pic because it subtly looks like they are jointly giving the finger to everyone. And therefore it’s the best and she’s brilliant.”

A majority thought the photo was “adorable”, “heartfelt” and “precious”, with some also pointing out how much the youngest royal looks like his father.

Prince William also took to social media to wish all a Happy Father’s Day, sharing a photo of himself with Prince Louis, as well as one with his father, Prince Charles.

View this post on Instagram

Happy Father’s Day!

A post shared by Kensington Palace (@kensingtonroyal) on

 

Soccer ball in goal

Matildas pull off massive comeback to down Brazil at World Cup

THE MATILDAS have pulled off a miracle comeback against Brazil to keep their World Cup hopes alive.

The Australian side was down 2-0 after 38 minutes before Caitlin Foord and Chloe Logarzo helped to level the scores. It was an own goal that then gifted the Matildas the hugely important victory.

After losing the opening clash against Italy, the 3-2 victory over Brazil was crucial for Australia if they were to have any chance of making it through.

It is only the second time a team have come from 2-0 down to win at the Women’s World Cup.

“Today was a real Australian performance from these girls. I’m very proud of them,” coach Ante Milicic told SBS.

“If anyone questioned the character of this team they answered it in the best possible way.

“Even when we were behind we kept on believing. This team doesn’t want to give up.”

Superstar Sam Kerr said she was happy the side could prove the ‘haters’ wrong.

“I’m so proud of the girls. We knew we were in it at half time,” Kerr said.

“There was a lot of critics talking about us but we’re back so suck on that one,” she joked.

“We don’t listen to the haters.”

Fierce fire guts Gold Coast home

UPDATE at 5:00 PM | A FIERCE fire has ripped through a family home on the Gold Coast, burning it to the ground.

Flames tore through the Spendelove Avenue property in the heart of Southport just before 4pm.

Multiple fire crews were dispatched to fight the blaze, which quickly consumed the dwelling and sent huge amounts of smoke soaring into the sky.

A man in his 50s was reportedly asleep inside the home at the time and was rescued moments before the flames took hold.

It’s understood the man was living at the home with his daughter, and her young son.

PHOTO: © myGC

Thick smoke shrouded surrounding streets and slowed traffic on Ferry Road and Queen Street while firefighters fought the inferno.

Dozens of onlookers lined the street as crews attacked the burning home from all angles.

Neighbours were prevented from getting too close as fears grew that the property may be riddled with asbestos.

PHOTO: © myGC

PHOTO: © myGC

PHOTO: © myGC

Half-a-dozen fire crews were still on the scene, mopping up the mess at 5pm.

It is not yet known what sparked the blaze.

FIRST at 4:10 PM | EMERGENCY services are on the scene of a large house fire in Southport.

Firefighters were called to the home on Spendelove Avenue just before 4pm.

A Queensland Fire and Emergency Services spokeswoman said the house was “well alight”.

PHOTO: © myGC

Three crews were on the scene at 4pm, battling to extinguish the blaze burning near the Southport Private Hospital.

It is producing copious amounts of smoke, which can be seen soaring above the suburb.

At this stage, there have been no reports of any injuries.