Mobile Phone

Gold Coast ratepayers warned of SMS scam claiming to be from Council

Gold Coast ratepayers are being warned about an SMS scam currently doing the rounds.

The text message, claiming to be from City of Gold Coast, encourages victims to make payments.

It reads: “Secret code for biller GCCC *****, ****** do not provide this to anyone including the Nab”

Organisational Services Director Glen Potter today urged local ratepayers to ignore the text and contact their banks.

“The first council heard about it [the scam] was last week, and it was provided by ratepayers” Mr Potter said.

“There was no breach of council data bases so we weren’t aware that the scam was occurring.

“The ratepayers made us aware, so we did some investigations and suggested to them that they should contact their banks.

“Council has also referred the matter to the police.”

Mr Potter emphasised that sending out text messages requesting people to make payments is not something that council would ever do.

“This is a scam so please ignore it,” he said.

Beer

RACQ says Queenslanders still willing to risk drink driving

The latest RACQ survey shows Queenslanders are still willing to risk drink driving if they think they can get away with it.

The study shows nearly one in seven drivers will get behind the wheel under the influence if they think they can get away with by “taking the back way home”.

13 per cent of drivers admitted to driving when they think they’ve had too much too drink and of those, 46 per cent said they’d taken a different route home to avoid a breath test.

RACQ spokeswoman Lauren Ritchie said they don’t realise how irresponsible they’re being.

“Drink driving contributes to about 20 per cent of all fatalities on Queensland roads,” she said.

“To see so many people are willingly getting behind the wheel and then actively trying to get around police and trying to go rat-runs to avoid those main areas where random breath tests might be, it’s mind-boggling.”

Further research showed women believe they could consume more than two standard drinks within the first hour and still drive.

RACQ said it was worrying they didn’t know their limits and should only consume one standard drink per hour to stay under the 0.05 limit.

 

Comedian Jerry Lewis dies age 91

Comedian, director and slapstick legend Jerry Lewis has passed away aged 91 surrounded by his family in Las Vegas.

His publicist, Candi Canzau, confirmed Lewis died of natural causes.

He first rose to fame in the early 1950s when he starred in a frenzied comedy-and-music act with Dean Martin.

After his famous split with Martin in 1956, Lewis moved to starring and directing in a slew of films.

Later generations would know Lewis as the tireless conductor of the American Labor Day weekend telethons, which raised funds for victims of muscular dystrophy.

His death has been met with great sadness from Hollywood.

 

Car

40,000+ cars recalled amid fears they could burst into flames

Almost 43,000 cars have been recalled over fears the fuel tank could crack and spark a fire.

Ford Australia issued the major safety recall on Thursday, affecting 42,988 vehicles across the country.

Cars affected include certain Ford Focus vehicles built from April 12, 2011 through September 29, 2015.

The Focus’ affected include those with VIN numbers from MPB1XXMXB1CC00178 to WF0MXXGCBMCR88545.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission detailed the defect on its website.

“Certain vehicles under particular environmental conditions may ingest excessive levels of dust, which may block the carbon canister during a purge cycle,” the website reads.

“This could cause the fuel tank to reach vacuum levels that exceed design limits.

“If this condition is not corrected, the fuel tank may crack, resulting in a fuel leak. A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source can lead to a fire.”

It’s understood Ford Australia will write to the owners of each affected vehicle, advising them to contact their local Ford dealership.

You can click here to see a full list (728 pages) of VIN numbers affected.

Game of Thrones Season 7 Trailer

HBO just accidentally leaked next week’s episode of Games of Thrones

THE next Game of Thrones episode has been leaked online – this time by its own network.

In an embarrassing bungle, HBO Spain accidentally made episode six of the blockbuster drama’s seventh season, titled “Death is the Enemy”, available to its subscribers online four days ahead of its scheduled release.

The episode was only online for around one hour before it was removed, but that was plenty of time for diehard fans to steal the version and re-upload it to various streaming websites where it remains available for anyone to watch.

According to those who have watched it, the version is free of watermarks and is of a higher quality than episode four, which was leaked two weeks ago, although appears to be missing the last 10 minutes of the 70-minute episode.

HBO is yet to comment on the leak.

While fans wait for word from the network, speculation is mounting online suggesting HBO may have orchestrated the ‘accidental’ leak in a bid to beat any hackers to the post, while at the same time leaving viewers no choice but to still tune in on Monday to see the last 10 minutes.

Four people were arrested and charged with stealing and leaking episode four.

The early releases come after anonymous group “little.finger66” hacked HBO and claimed to have stolen 1.5 terabytes of data, some of which has already been leaked, including a number of Game of Thrones scripts.

The hackers have demanded the network pay a ransom in return for the files.