Gallery

Emerging female local artists to showcase works at Coolangatta

Four local female artists will showcase their work at an upcoming group exhibition at the Level Up Studio + Gallery in Coolangatta.

Owlet (aka Cara Sanders), Rebecca Cunningham, Aimee Moy and Natalie Popovski will explore the spirit of Australia in the Under the Milky Way exhibit, which opens to the public this Thursday.

Using distinct styles and techniques in painting and illustration, each artist will share their sense of connection to the Australian land, capturing the essence of our country through depictions of landscape, native birds, iconic brands and architecture.

Owlet Artwork

Land Meets Sea by Owlet. Image credit: Cara Sanders

The Strand’s Marketing Manager, Sarah Clasen, said the exhibition will showcase the talents of emerging local artists.

“Four dynamic female artists will explore what it means to live under the Milky Way in the Under the Milky Way group show, exhibiting in the Gallery from 9am – 4pm, Monday to Friday until March 31, 2019,” said Ms Clasen.

“We are thrilled to have the City’s arts incubator located here in the heart of Coolangatta to not only support our city’s emerging artists but to give locals and visitors the opportunity to experience our local arts scene for themselves,” she said.

The public are invited to view the exhibition at the Gallery during open hours over the next six weeks.

Court

Gold Coast nightclub owner Ivan Tesic jailed over massive drug stash

Gold Coast nightclub owner and drug kingpin Ivan Tesic has been jailed for almost nine years after being sentenced on drugs charges.

Tesic was last week found guilty of possessing 3.68kgs of meth oil worth an estimated $5.25 million.

Six bottles of meth oil were found in his car at his Isle of Capri home in 2014.

Prosecutors told his sentencing hearing that the amount of drugs and Tesic’s lengthy criminal history warranted a sentence of up to 13 years.

Justice Glenn Martin ended up jailing Tesic for eight years and nine months.

Prosecutors also confirmed they would not pursue the more serious charge of drug trafficking after a jury was unable to reach a verdict for the second time.

Tesic’s lawyers have already lodged an appeal against his drug possession conviction and argued he should be granted bail pending that appeal.

However Justice Martin rejected his bid.

Shark

“There was a lot of blood” | Shark attack victim’s mate recounts horror ordeal

UPDATE @ February 17 2019 10.30am | THE FRIEND of a shark attack victim has told of the bloody scene that he encountered on a Byron Bay beach on Sunday morning.

Dane Davidson has recounted the horror to the ABC, describing how there was “a lot of bleeding” after his flatmate was attacked as they paddled out off Belongil Beach for a surf around sunrise.

“My mate got out the back and sat up on his board and instantly a shark smashed from underneath and knocked him clean off his board,” Mr Davidson said.

“There was a lot of thrashing and splashing,” he explained before admitting that the extent of the attack was not clear at first.

“I paddled with him back to the beach and didn’t realise until we were on the beach that there was a big chunk taken out of his leg.

“There was a lot of blood, a lot of bleeding.

“Me and a random bloke on the beach jumped in and wrapped the leg ropes around his leg, because the bleeding was pretty bad.

“Hopefully that prevented him from losing a lot of blood.”

Multiple ambulance crews and a helicopter were called to Manfred Street, around 6.40am, where they treated the 41-year-old from Suffolk Park.

He was then air-lifted to Gold Coast University Hospital in a serious but stable condition.

EARLIER @ 7am |  A SURFER has managed to paddle to safety, after being attacked by a shark on the New South Wales north coast.

Emergency services were called to Manfred Street in Byron Bay around 6:40am on Sunday, to find the 41-year-old with bite wounds to his leg.

It’s believed the Suffolk Park local had been surfing near Belongil Beach when he was bitten on the leg, but was able to return to shore on his board and raise the alarm.

He was treated at the scene by NSW Ambulance paramedics, before being air-lifted to Gold Coast University Hospital in a serious but stable condition.

It’s not known what breed of shark was involved, but Belongil Beach and Main Beach have been closed for 24-hours.

Child found dead in playground near primary school

A SMALL child has tragically died in a playground next to a primary school in Darwin.

The child’s body was reportedly found in a playground near Wanguri Primary School.

ABC Darwin reporter Elias Clure broke the story on Thursday afternoon.

The local reporter said the child is believed to have died on Wednesday night.

It is understood the child was a student at the school. Their age is not known.

Northern Territory Police Senior Sergeant Matt Allen told 7 News the child’s death was not being treated as suspicious, but rather as a case of “misadventure”.

The circumstances surrounding the incident and cause of death are not yet clear.

Northern Territory Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the child’s death and will prepare a report for the information of the Coroner.

Detectives have spent the day examining the scene.

No further information was available at the time of writing.

Pauline Hanson Video Q&A

Sexual harassment claims take a violent turn at Parliament House

Political drama has turned violent in Canberra, after a physical clash broke out between a United Australia Party Senator and a One Nation adviser.

Video footage has been released of Senator Brian Burston shoving One Nation advisor James Ashby in Parliament House.

Senator Burston, who left the One Nation Party last year, claims Mr Ashby approached him and his wife as they were leaving a function, putting a phone in their face.

He also claims he was injured in the tussle, when he tried to grab the phone from Mr Ashby.

It’s believed the altercation may have turned violent after Senator Burston accused One Nation leader Pauline Hanson of sexually harassing him in the past.

Though Senator Hanson has addressed those claims, and says she isn’t that ‘desperate’.

It follows similar claims on Tuesday night, when Senator Hanson used her parliamentary privilege to accuse an unnamed Senator of sexually harassment women in his office, and using taxpayer money to keep them quiet.

Senator Burston apparently outed himself to Newscorp as the one she was referring to, but denied all claims.

The incident has apparently been reported to the Australian Federal Police.

Late last night Pauline Hanson reportedly returned to her office to see ‘blood’ smeared on her door.