ANOTHER federal politician has been referred to the High Court over dual citizenship disputes

The Deputy Leader of the of Nationals is the latest politician to be caught up in the dual citizenship fiasco, after Fiona Nash revealed she is a British citizen by descent.

The announcement comes just days after the leader of her party, Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce, admitted to discovering he holds New Zealand citizenship by descent.

Ms Nash said she sought advice from the UK Home Office on her citizenship after Mr Joyce’s statement on Monday.

Neither Mr Joyce or Ms Nash will step aside while the High Court reaches a verdict on whether they’re eligible for parliament.

“I can advise honourable senators, that on the basis of the solicitor-general’s advice, the Prime Minister sees no reason for me to stand aside from my portfolio responsibilities,” Ms Nash said.

Leading constitutional law expert George Williams believes the federal parliament can still function normally, despite the on-going dual citizenship scandal.

But Crossbench Senator Cory Bernadi is calling for parliament to be suspended until the issue is resolved.

Mr Williams says the suspension of parliament is a decision the Prime Minister must make.

“The governor general could give his advice on the suspension of parliament, but at the end of the day it’s for Malcolm Turnbull to decide on,” he said.

BLANC de BLANC

Blanc de Blanc coming back to the GC

After a successful season on the Gold Coast earlier this year as part of Bleach* Festival, sizzling cabaret show Blanc de Blanc is set to woo locals once again this October.

The hit show will be popping up in a spectacular Aurora Spiegeltent at a new location at Broadwater Parklands from Thursday 5th October to Sunday 5th November 2017.

Blanc de Blanc director Scott Maidment said they couldn’t wait to bring the show back to the Gold Coast.

“We were simply blown away by the response when our first ‘champagne cabaret’ debuted on the Gold Coast earlier this year,” he said.

“So many people have contacted us wanting to know when we are coming back. We couldn’t wait until next year, so by popular demand we are back in October.”

Blanc de Blanc features the finest cabaret and acrobatic talent from around the world in a wild, shimmering show that has big moves, great tunes, lots of skin, and more than a few surprises.

BLANC de BLANC

PHOTO: Supplied by BLANC de BLANC | © Pamela Raith Photography

Locals who were lucky enough to see Blanc de Blanc the first time round, will be delighted to learn popular cast members will be making a return, with a sprinkling of new characters added.

For locals and tourists who haven’t seen it yet, Blanc de Blanc is a show that cannot be missed.

Blanc de Blanc is on at Broadwater Parklands from October 5 to November 5 2017. It is a seductive, immersive and naughty night out and is suitable for adults only. Tickets for the return season to the Gold Coast are on sale now at: blancshow.com

 

$100 Notes

Commonwealth Bank to refund over $10 million to customers

More than 65,000 Commonwealth Bank customers will be refunded a total of approximately $10 million after being sold “unsuitable” credit insurance.

The Bank says customers had been sold CreditCard Plus or Home Loan Protection insurance which is meant to help borrowers meet their repayments if they become sick, injured or involuntarily unemployed. But many of those who received the insurance weren’t eligible because they were either unemployed at the time or a student.

CommBank will also refund approximately $586,000 in premiums to around 10,000 customers after it over-insured those customers – resulting in customers being over-charged premiums.

The bank will be contacting customers who were affected.

The Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC) Deputy Chair Peter Kell said it was unacceptable that customers were sold insurance that did not meet their needs.

“Customers should not be sold products that provide little or not benefit, and banks should have processes in place to ensure this,” he said.

gc2018 batton relay

2018 Games: Here’s how you can star in the opening and closing ceremonies!

THOUSANDS of everyday Gold Coasters have been given a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be part of history and star in the opening and closing ceremonies of next year’s 2018 Commonwealth Games.

Up to 4,000 volunteer cast members representing the breadth and diversity of the Gold Coast community are needed to perform alongside established and celebrated professional artists.

A global audience of 1.5 billion people is expected to tune in to watch the Opening and Closing ceremonies live on TV.

GOLDOC Chairman, Peter Beattie AC said today’s announcement was an exciting opportunity for locals to experience one of the most thrilling aspects of the Games.

“The Opening and Closing Ceremonies represent an extraordinary occasion for thousands of local people to be a part of GC2018,” said Mr Beattie.

“To perform in such a high profile event is something they will remember forever.”

Minister for the Commonwealth Games, Kate Jones said the opportunity to be part of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies is something that comes along once-in-a-lifetime.

“It’s a great opportunity to get behind one of the greatest success stories for the Gold Coast.

“It will be a game changer and a rolled gold opportunity to showcase all that is great about the Gold Coast.

“With a global TV audience of 1.5 billion watching the Opening and Closing ceremonies, that level of exposure is priceless.

“One of the best ways to show the world what the Gold Coast has to offer is through one of our best assets – our people.”

GOLDOC CEO, Mark Peters spoke about the significance of the Ceremonies for the Gold Coast community.

“The world will be watching us during the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, so we are inviting proud Gold Coast residents who are passionate about representing their community and showing the rest of Australia and the Commonwealth what we are made of, to give it a go and submit an application,” Mr Peters said.

Do you want to join the cast but don’t have any experience under your belt? No problem. Just a bucket load of enthusiasm and a passion to represent the heart and soul of the Gold Coast is all you need.

Applications to be part of the volunteer performance cast for both the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, opened this morning. They’ll close at midnight on Sunday 3 September, with auditions tipped to commence in October.

Click here to apply!

Tom Cruise

WATCH: Tom Cruise stunt fail on set of M:I 6

He loves to boast about still doing most of his stunts, but Tom Cruise may need a re-think.

The 55-year-old evergreen actor slammed into a building when a stunt went wrong on the London set of Mission Impossible 6.

The Hollywood star was attempting to leap from a platform onto the building, when he fell short and appeared to hurt his ribs and knee.

Cruise, who was hooked-up to wires, climbed on to the roof and limped towards crew members before collapsing in pain.

But, like a true stuntman, he got back up and was pulled over to the platform to be assessed.

The extent of his injuries are unknown.