Emergency crews rush to jet ski crash on the Gold Coast

UPDATE @9.10AM | A man’s being rushed to hospital after a nasty jetski crash in waters off Main Beach this morning.

Emergency services were called to an address on Seaworld Drive around 8.00am, while water police worked to transport the patient back to shore.

He was assessed by paramedics just after 8.30am, believed to have suffered a broken leg in the crash.

He’s being taken to the Gold Coast University Hospital in a stable condition.

EARLIER @8.45AM | Emergency services are responding to a jet ski crash in Gold Coast waters this morning.

It happened near South Stradbroke Island around 8.00am, with emergency services called to the water police base on Seaworld Drive in Main Beach.

At the time of writing, water police officers were still working to transport a man back to shore, where paramedics were waiting.

The extent of the man’s injuries are currently unknown.

More to come.

Pucovski requests mental wellbeing break

Will Pucovski has requested that he not be considered for selection in Australia’s side for the first cricket Test against Pakistan citing mental health reasons.

Pucovski, 21, informed team management of his decision in Perth on Tuesday evening and it was agreed he could finish Australia A’s three-day tour game against Pakistan.

Cricket Australia fully support his decision.

“We applaud Will for having the courage to discuss his situation with team management in Perth,” Cricket Australia’s EGM of National Teams Ben Oliver said.

“Will’s decision not to nominate for Test selection was the right one in the circumstances and one that everyone in the Australian cricket family supports.”

© AAP 2019

Court

NT cop charged with murder granted bail

The Northern Territory policeman charged with the murder a 19-year-old indigenous man has been granted bail.

28-year-old Constable Zachary Rolfe and another went to the home of Kumanjayi Walker in Yuendumu, around 300 kilometres west of Alice Springs, on Saturday night to arrest him over breaches to a suspended sentence.

Rolfe allegedly fired three shots at Walker, which tragically resulted in the 19-year-old’s death.

It’s understood he was then taken to the local police station, because the medical staff at Yuendumu Health Centre had evacuated due to safety concerns earlier that day.

The Royal Flying Doctor Service also delayed their response as well, due to safety concerns.

Walker’s family and the local community were not told about the death until the morning after he was shot.

Medical staff from the neighbouring community of Yuelamu assisted in pronouncing Mr Walker dead.

A few of the staff were then allegedly injured in community unrest, and had to be treated for minor injuries in Alice Springs.

NT Police Acting Deputy Commissioner Michael White has since said that Walker lunged at an officer and stabbed him with a weapon and a struggle broke out before the shooting took place, though Walker’s family say that’s not what happened.

NT police internal investigators have since been looking over the officers’ body-worn cameras.

Last night, the 28-year-old officer was charged with murder. He fronted court this morning where he was granted bail, and suspended with pay.

He’s due to front Alice Springs court again on December 19.

Rallies have been conducted around the country yesterday, in Alice Springs, Darwin, Melbourne and Adelaide, calling for ‘Justice for Walker’.

George Pell

Cardinal George Pell granted leave to appeal child sex abuse conviction

Disgraced Cardinal George Pell has been granted leave to appeal his child sex abuse conviction in the High Court this morning.

The 78-year-old is currently serving a six-year-sentence, after he was found guilty of raping a 13-year-old choirboy and assaulting another back in the ’90s.

Back in August, the Victoria Court of Appeal upheld the jury’s verdict 2-1, causing Pell’s lawyers to lodge a special leave application with the High Court in September.

The High Court announced its decision this morning in Canberra, in what is now Pell’s final chance to challenge his conviction.

He has consistently maintained his innocence.

The appeal will likely take place next year.

Related article: George Pell to challenge child sex convictions in High Court

Police confirm cigarette sparked devastating Hinterland bushfire

A discarded cigarette is being blamed for September’s devastating fire in the Gold Coast Hinterland.

Eleven homes and the historic Binna Burra Lodge were destroyed in the blaze.

Police had previously refused to reveal the cause of the fire following an extensive investigation, citing privacy reasons.

It was initially thought the blaze was deliberately lit but Police have now confirmed it was accidental.

Police say two teenage boys discarded a cigarette in the area, sparking the blaze which was fanned by strong winds and warm temperatures.

Detectives spoke to the 17 and 19-year-olds but the pair will not be charged.

The teens are understood to be members of the local community.

Image | QPS