Child approach at Sydney netball courts deemed a ‘misunderstanding’

Police have revealed that an earlier report of a young girl being approached and picked up by a man at netball courts in Miranda, was in fact, a misunderstanding.

Just after 9.00am on Saturday, a nine-year-old girl was at the netball fields on Wandella Road with her family when she told her father that she was approached by an unknown man who grabbed her from behind and picked her up.

The youngster’s father notified police who launched an investigation.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT

Following inquiries, officers spoke with a 41-year-old man and have now determined that the incident was a misunderstanding, as the man believed he was approaching a child he knew.

“When he realised he had mistakenly approached the wrong child, he immediately put her down and she ran away,” NSW police said in a statement.

“When the man became aware the matter had been reported to police, he attended Miranda Police Station to clarify the situation.”

Miranda Duty Officer, Inspector Michael Merrett, extended his thanks to those who shared the appeal.

“I’d like to thank members of the media and the social media community for spreading the word about this incident.

“Without your help, the man might not have heard about the investigation and we would not have been able to clear things up”, Inspector Merrett said.

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of