WAYNE Bennett’s 25-year tenure at the Broncos has come to an end, with the Brisbane club terminating his contract a year early to allow South Sydney coach Anthony Seibold to take charge.
The Broncos confirmed the decision to sack Bennett, effectively immediately, in a statement on Sunday afternoon.
“The Brisbane Broncos Board has terminated coach Wayne Bennett’s contract with immediate effect,” the statement read.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“The Broncos thank him for his contribution to the club and wish him all the best in the future.
“The Broncos would like to thank members, sponsors, corporate partners, players and staff for their patience and understanding through this period of transition.”
The Club said the terms of Bennett’s termination were “confidential”.
The news comes just two days after the seven-time premiership coach said he wasn’t going anywhere and vowed to see out the final year of his contract as coach in 2019.
The 68-year-old lead the Broncos for 25 seasons and won six NRL premierships with the Brisbane club.
In a separate statement, the Broncos confirmed Rabbitohs head coach Anthony Seibold has been granted immediate released by South Sydney and will be joining the Brisbane club as coach tomorrow.
“Seibold had already agreed to join the club as coach from 2020 onwards, but he will now coach for 2019 as well after the departure of Wayne Bennett,” the statement said.
“Seibold has been granted an immediate release by South Sydney, and will be at the Broncos tomorrow for the first day of preseason training with the full squad in attendance.”
“The Broncos would again like to thank members, sponsors, corporate partners, players and staff for their patience and understanding through this period of transition.”