Dreamworld Inquest set to be extended

The Coronial Inquiry into the death of four people at Dreamworld could be extended by a week to avoid the inquest spilling into next year.

The current sitting is due to finish this Friday before another two-week stint in November.

Coroner James McDougall has proposed another week in December, the 17th to 21st in Brisbane, to avoid the saga moving into 2019.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT

On Tuesday, the court heard from a Maintenance Supervisor who said he did not see concern for the numerous failures of one of the ride’s pumps in the days leading up to the incident that killed of Kate Goodchild, Luke Dorsett, Roozi Araghi and Cindy Low.

Earlier in the Inquiry, Ride experts said the breakdown of the south pump, resulting in a significant drop in the water level, played a key role in the rafts colliding and flipping over.

Maintenance Supervisor Mark Watkins explained to the court on Tuesday that the pumps often shut down for various reasons.

He also told the court he was attempting to source replacement rafts for the Thunder River Rapids Ride.

In May 2016, Mr Watkins emailed a Swiss company asking for a comprehensive quote for 12 new rafts.

He said this email was pre-emptive and was not over concerns the current rafts in operation were too told.

After stints with the ABC and AAP, Mitchell joined 1029 Hot Tomato in 2017. He’ll be out and about bringing you the news that matters on the Coast.

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of