EIGHT new combined red light speed cameras are being installed at a number of ‘high-risk’ intersections in Queensland, including two on the Gold Coast.
The cameras, which were carefully selected by the Queensland Police Service and Transport and Main Roads based on the number and severity of speed and red-light-related road crashes at the intersections, are in the process of being switched on.
Road Policing Command Assistant Commissioner Mike Keating said the combined red light speed camera technology would detect motorists who disobey the red traffic light, as well as motorists who speed through the intersection.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“The combined red light and speed cameras have proven to reduce the incidence of speeding and red light running at these intersections,” Assistant Commissioner Keating said
“These approved camera systems create safer roads for all Queenslanders and are designed to function 24 hours a day, seven days a week.”
Assistant Commissioner Keating said red light running was often associated with speeding.
“What we do know is that the resulting crashes are likely to be T-bone crashes, which have a higher potential of causing death or serious injury,” Assistant Commissioner Keating said.
“We want drivers to comply with traffic light signals and the speed limit through intersections.”
During the past five years, 42 people have been killed and more than 3,000 hospitalised in crashes at signalised intersections in Queensland.
The new combined red light and speed cameras will be installed at the following intersections:
- Glenlyon Street, Gladstone Central at intersection with Tank Street; and
- Anzac Avenue Road, Kippa-Ring at intersection with Boardman Road.
The following Intersections will be upgraded from red light camera system to a combined red light and speed camera system:
- Morayfield Road, Morayfield (intersection of Caboolture River Road)
- Lutwyche Road, Lutwyche (intersection of Norman Avenue)
- Lutwyche Road, Kedron (intersection of Kedron Park Road)
- Old Cleveland Road, Coorparoo (intersection of Cavendish Road)
- Smith Street, Southport (intersection of Kumbari Avenue)
- Bermuda Street, Burleigh Waters (intersection of Christine Avenue)