Breast cancer survivors have hit out at Facebook after the social media giant banned images of their scars and mastectomies featured in a new campaign.
The photos of topless women and a man holding buns and rolls over their breasts are at the centre of this year’s Pink Bun campaign, run by Bakers Delight to raise money for Breast Cancer Network Australia.
BCNA said Facebook had previously approved the pictures for advertisements on the platform but has now ruled them in violation of its partial nudity policy.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“BCNA believes it is impossible to show the full reality of breast cancer’s impact if a survivor is forced to cover up,” it said in a statement on Friday.
“This nonsensical decision threatens to significantly reduce the campaign’s effectiveness to raise awareness and much-needed funds for BCNA.”
Survivor Kate Murray, who features in the campaign, was left dumbfounded by the ban, believing the images were tasteful.
“It’s insulting that they’d ban them when they live stream mass murder and anti-Muslim rhetoric and homophobic diatribes,” she told Seven’s Sunrise.
“It’s insane that they’d ban something so beautiful and thoughtful and supportive as this campaign.”
BCNA is urging Facebook to reconsider its decision.
© AAP 2019