Kellie from Mermaid Beach has a question…
[blockquote]”I’m looking at selling my apartment and I am struggling to work out how to select an agent to use. I want to ensure they advertise it correctly and I get a good price… What should I look for?”[/blockquote]
Selling any property is a very stressful time and can consume all your energies, doing your homework and ensuring you are comfortable with your final decision is very important.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Here are my top tips for choosing the best agent for your needs:
- Log onto realestate.com.au and choose the SOLD option, put in your suburb and a few surrounding suburbs as well. This will give you all the sold properties for those areas, selling price and date of sale.
- Pick the 5 top selling agents, then do your home work, check their on line profile, read all the testimonials, google them as well. This will give you a good indication of how active they are in your market area. You should also be able to gauge if you could work with them or not.
- Look at what they have been most successful in selling, units, apartments, homes, executive area. There is not much point picking an agent who specialises in high end acreage to market a beachside 2 bed apartment, pick the agent who will have your buyer on their database and believe me they will be there.
- Look at the quality of the advertising, are they a good wordsmith or have they just gone the old route in descriptions?, are they creative thinkers?
- Go to the open homes of the agents as a secret shopper, give your correct details and then see what contact you receive in the days following the open home, how were you treated at the open?, did you receive any information that was helpful to you as a purchaser or seller from the agent?. This is the situation your purchasers will be encountering, is it a positive experience for all concerned.
- Don’t be afraid to interview the agent, you have the product, this is a business transaction, ask questions and make notes of the answers, be wary of agents who over promise and under deliver.
Listing the property is a small part of the whole process, you need to be totally committed to working together to achieve the result you require. It may take you a little time to find the right personality for you but persevere, it will be worth it in the end.