Boy charged after girl shot in the face with ‘blow dart’

UPDATE @ November 26, 9.30 AM | A 17-year-old boy has been charged after a teenage girl was shot in the face with a ‘blow dart’ in a random attack at Cessnock, in the New South Wales Hunter region.

The girl was walking along Wollombi Road with four friends at 7.15pm on Saturday when police said a vehicle stopped and a teenage boy allegedly fired a ‘makeshift blow dart’ at them through an open window.

Police say the projectile became lodged in the girl’s cheek, with the teen rushed to Cessnock Hospital before being transferred to John Hunter Hospital where she underwent surgery to remove the dart.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT

Following ongoing investigations, police confirmed on Monday that a 17-year-old youth had been charged with reckless wounding and possess or use a prohibited weapon over the attack.

He was granted conditional bail to appear before a Children’s Court on Tuesday 11 December.

EARLIER @ November 25, 4.30 PM | A 15-YEAR-OLD girl has undergone surgery to remove a screw lodged in her face after she was shot in the head with a ‘blow dart’ in a random attack at Cessnock, in the New South Wales Hunter region.

The girl was walking along Wollombi Road with four friends at 7.15pm on Saturday when police said a white Toyota Hilux stopped and a teenage boy fired a ‘makeshift blow dart’ at them through an open window.

The projectile, believed to be a screw, became lodged in the 15-year-old girl’s cheek, narrowly missing her eye.

She was taken to Cessnock Hospital before being transferred to John Hunter Hospital where she underwent surgery to remove the projectile.

In a statement this afternoon, NSW Police confirmed a 17-year-old boy had been arrested over the attack, which they will allege was random.

The boy handed himself in to officers at Cessnock Police Station just after 4pm today.

He has been arrested and remains in custody.

Jaydan is a Digital News Producer at myGC.com.au. He was appointed Managing Editor of the Junee Southern Cross newspaper at the age of 17 and has since held positions in a number of newsrooms in New South Wales and Queensland. Jaydan joined the Hot Tomato Broadcasting Company in 2013 and has been keeping the Gold Coast up to date with the latest local, national and international news online at myGC.com.au ever since. With almost ten years’ experience in both print and digital media Jaydan is committed to providing the best coverage during major news and weather events.

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of