Schoolgirls released from hospital after prescription pill overdose

UPDATE at 11:45 AM on SATURDAY | FOUR teenage girls who overdosed on prescription sedatives at a high school on the Gold Coast have been released from hospital.

The Year 8 Southport State High students are believed to have taken several Valium or Xanax pills each before class on Friday morning.

It’s believed one of the girls had pocketed the pills from her parent’s medicine cabinet at home and brought them to school.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT

The Queensland Ambulance Service confirmed it was called to the school multiple times throughout the day to treat the girls, some of whom are reported to be as young as 12 years old.

Paramedics were first called about 8.30am, before class had even started, after one of the girls started feeling ill.

They were called a further two times after that as the remaining three girls succumbed to the drugs’ effects.

The drugs are depressants, which slow down the nervous system, and are most commonly prescribed to treat panic disorders, stress and anxiety.

RELATED: School under fire for not calling police

All four students were transported to the Gold Coast University Hospital in stable conditions.

One of them was released late on Friday afternoon, while the remaining three were kept for further observation.

It’s understood police only became aware of the incident after news of the overdoses first broke in the media on Friday afternoon.

The Education Department on Friday said “the health and well-being of students is the department’s highest priority” and said “the school will continue to work with authorities as the incident is investigated”.

The Queensland Police Service is investigating.

FIRST at 2:30 PM on FRIDAY | FOUR teenage girls have been rushed to hospital following a suspected drug overdose at a Gold Coast high school.

Emergency services were called to Southport State High School about 8.30am, before the school day even began.

A Queensland Ambulance spokesperson told myGC four female students had ingested an unknown substance.

There are reports the girls may have overdosed on prescription medication.

All four girls are believed to be aged in their mid-teens and are said to be students at the school.

Queensland Ambulance said the girls were transported to the Gold Coast University Hospital in stable conditions.

The incident comes almost a year to the day since seven teenage boys were rushed to hospital after overdosing on the Russian designer drug Phenibut at Saint Stephens College in Upper Coomera.

A fleet of ambulances was dispatched to the prestigious school on Wednesday, February 21 last year after seven Year 10 students, all boys aged 14 and 15, began drifting in an out of consciousness.

Of the seven students, four were hospitalised in a critical condition.

No further information was available at the time of writing.

If you are in immediate danger call 000 now.  If you require advice or assistance, the following services can offer counselling and support:
Lifeline 13 11 14
| visit website
Beyond Blue 1300 22 4636
| visit website
Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800
| visit website
MensLine Australia 1300 789 978
| visit website

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of