The Home Affairs Minister has confirmed he is looking into the case of a New Zealand-born teenager who pleaded guilty to a one-punch attack on the Gold Coast following a push to have him deported.
19-year-old Caleb Maraku was given 12 months probation but escaped conviction after pleading guilty to the attack on Taliesin O’Meara in Surfers Paradise during Schoolies Week.
Maraku laughed and took selfies as he left Southport Magistrates Court following his sentencing last month.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Police confirmed on Wednesday they would not appeal the sentence given to Maraku following a review of the evidence.
An online petition calling for Maraku to be kicked out of Australia has now gathered more than 47,000 signatures.
Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton says he is reviewing Maraku’s case.
“This matter I’m having a look at the moment because it was a sickening attack and we’ve seen the consequences of one punch outcomes before,” Mr Dutton said.
Mr Dutton hasn’t given a timeframe for the review.