ALMOST 1,000 people have already visited community pop up sessions across the Gold Coast to learn more about the 72 master plan options for The Spit, it has been revealed.
Over 800 people attended community sessions in the first week of consultation, while more than 400 others have jumped online and completed the master plan option survey.
Minister for State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning Cameron Dick said the community’s involvement had been overwhelming.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“This shows that the people of the Gold Coast really care about The Spit and want to make sure they are involved in the future planning for this iconic area,” Mr Dick said.
“Overwhelmingly people have been telling us the area needs better access to the Broadwater and better pedestrian pathways along and across The Spit.
“We’re also hearing from people that they want improvements to occur to the top of The Spit but for it to remain largely open space and they’re supportive of the southern end of The Spit being reinvigorated.”
Mr Dick said interest in attending the community pop up sessions was being mirrored online.
“In one week 3000 people have visited our online hub and we’ve received more than 7000 pieces of feedback on the master plan options through our online survey,” he said.
“This is a plan created for the community, by the community, so I encourage everyone to take our survey either at one of our pop up sessions or through the online hub.”
Public comments on the master plan options will close on 25 November 2018.
The feedback received will inform the third master planning workshop in December where key stakeholders and community representatives will help refine the master planning options to produce a draft master plan.
“There’s still plenty of time to get involved with pop up sessions happening throughout November across the Gold Coast,” Mr Dick said.
Upcoming pop up sessions
- Tuesday, 13 November 1pm-3.30pm: Robina Library, 196 Robina Town Centre Drive, Robina. Site parking and public transport available.
- Thursday, 15 November 3pm-8pm: Australia Fair Shopping Centre, 42 Marine Parade, Southport. Ground floor outside Woolworths and between Stacks and Breadtop.
- Saturday, 17 November 8am-11am: Marina Mirage, 74 Seaworld Drive, Southport. Ground floor between Gazman and Seed Woman.
- Sunday, 18 November 8am-11am: Broadwater Markets, Kurrawa Park, Old Burleigh Road, Broadbeach.
- Wednesday, 21 November 9am-5pm: Stockland Burleigh Heads Shopping Centre, 149 W Burleigh Rd, Burleigh Waters. Opposite the medical centre.
The master plan is being prepared in collaboration with the City of Gold Coast and the Gold Coast Waterways Authority.
Visit www.qld.gov.au/thespit for more information and to have your say.