Good news for Tamborine locals after Debbie knocked out major link

One lane of the John Muntz Causeway is expected to reopen by the end of July.

Repairs began after the crossing was severely damaged by ex-TC Debbie in April.

Minister for Main Roads and Road Safety Mark Bailey visited the site on Monday to check progress.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT

Once completed the bridge will reconnect Tamborine-Oxenford Road.

“This has been a massive job. So far, crews working around the clock have removed more than 500 tonnes of concrete and 13,000 tonnes of debris from the Coomera River – equivalent to about 1000 truckloads,” he said.

“Unless we get another extreme weather event, final repairs are expected to be complete before the end of August.”

Mr Bailey said he was committed to major roads upgrades and improvements on the South Coast confirming the Palaszczuk Government had allocated $518.3 million in last week’s 2017-18 Budget.

“The Palaszczuk Government is delivering a record $21 billion investment over the next four years in road and transport infrastructure across the state for the second year in a row, supporting 17,000 jobs,” he said.

“The South Coast region is one of the many beneficiaries of the blockbuster roads budget being delivered under the Queensland Transport and Roads Investment Program (QTRIP).

“This will include $1.257 billion of works planned just for the South Coast alone, over the next four years.

“This includes the upgrade to the M1 Pacific Motorway between Mudgeeraba and Varsity Lakes on top of the commitment to upgrade the Gateway Motorway Merge.

“We’re also investing $5 million to progress the planning and business case development to six-lane the next highest priority for the southern end of the motorway – the section between Varsity Lakes and Tugun.

“But I want to be clear that because this is part of the National Land Transport Network, the Federal Government continues to be responsible for majority funding.

“Gold Coast residents don’t want another round of the Turnbull Government taking them for granted by underfunding the M1 compared to the same road just across the border in New South Wales.

“We are currently undertaking options analysis and preliminary evaluation, which is expected to be completed by the end of the year.

“Upgrading the M1 is a priority for the Palaszczuk Government after not one dollar was spent upgrading it in the previous LNP government.”

Mr Bailey said the Palaszczuk Government reconfirmed its commitment to the Transport Infrastructure Development Scheme (TIDS) after the previous LNP government gutted the program.

“$2.5 million will be invested in 2017-18 for the South Coast which means local governments will be able to fund fund the development of transport related infrastructure,” he said.

“This is more than a 90 per cent increase in funding compared to what the LNP committed in their last budget.”

Mr Bailey said the Budget also focused on cyclists, with $18.6 million planned for cycling infrastructure across Queensland in 2017-18, which includes $5.4million for the South Coast.

“The Palaszczuk Government is committed to making cycling safer and more accessible for communities across Queensland,” he said.

“We have also awarded $17 million to 30 local governments across Queensland for the delivery of an additional 35 kilometres of cycle network.”

2017-18 QTRIP major roads projects for South Coast include:

  • $18.6 million in 2017-18, to construct additional lanes on the Pacific Motorway between Mudgeeraba and Varsity Lakes,at an estimated total cost of $180 million. Note: Indicative total project cost to be confirmed through the procurement process
  • $18 million in 2017-18, to widen to four lanes Waterford-Tamborine Road from Anzac Avenue to Hotz Road, at a total cost of $39.5 million.
  • $14.9 million in 2017-18, to widen to six lanes and perform intersection and bridge works on the Southport-Burleigh Road (Vespa Crescent to Nerang River Bridge), at a total cost of $49 million
  • $10.2 million in 2017-18, to widen to six lanes the Labrador-Carrara Road, (Crestwood Drive to Nerang-Southport Road), at a total cost of $22.5 million.
  • $10 million in 2017-18, to upgrade the Pacific Motorway/Gateway Motorway Merge, at a estimated total cost of $170 million. Note: Indicative total project cost to be confirmed through the procurement process
  • $39.7 million to complete upgrading of various Gold Coast roads in preparation for Commonwealth Games, totalling $160.7 million

 

Michelle has worked as a broadcast journalist since 1999 and 102.9 Hot Tomato is her 4th radio station. Major stories she’s covered over the years include the Childers Backpacker Hotel fire and the fatal shooting of Police Officer Damien Leeding on the Gold Coast. Michelle has been writing for myGC.com.au since its inception. “I really enjoy lifestyle type stories that show the world just how interesting we all are.” Outside of work, Michelle volunteers her time with many local causes including Volunteering Gold Coast, the Schoolies Support Team and Rosies Street Outreach.

Leave a Reply

1 Comment on "Good news for Tamborine locals after Debbie knocked out major link"

Notify of
avatar
Jan
Guest

They sound so excited to announce the opening date…except that they have been telling residents up until only a week ago that it will absolutely, positively, most definitely open mid year. Last I checked, mid year is end of June. Now all of the sudden this date of August is being thrown around. Who knows what will be next, Christmas? Not impressed!

wpDiscuz