THREE Indigenous protesters have been arrested and charged after clashing with police outside the stadium at last night’s Opening Ceremony of the 2018 Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast.
Up to 100 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander protesters gathered outside the stadium around 7.30pm, just before the ceremony was due to begin, to protest against the games.
Photos and video uploaded to social media showed several of the protesters clashing with officers after allegedly trying to get into the stadium without tickets.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
The group was vastly outnumbered by police, with hundreds of officers surrounding the Games stadium on foot, horseback and motorbikes.
A 20-year-old man who had travelled to the Gold Coast from the Northern Territory was arrested and charged with one count of public nuisance. He is due to appear in the Southport Magistrates Court on May 3.
Meanwhile, two Queensland women aged 21 and 30 were also charged with one count each of public nuisance and will appear in the same court on April 23.
In a statement, Queensland Police said it will not tolerate “disruptive behaviour” during the Games.
“It will be alleged that some protestors attempted to gain unauthorised entry into the venue,” the statement said.
“The Queensland Police Service respects the right of people to protest lawfully and peacefully in Queensland but will not tolerate disruptive behaviour during the Commonwealth Games and associated events.”
— 7 News Mackay (@7NewsMackay) April 4, 2018
Earlier on Wednesday, a group of up to 30 ‘Stolenwealth Games’ protesters halted the Queen’s Baton Relay at the Spit for almost an hour.