Council has cancelled Chinese Lunar New Year celebrations planned for this weekend.
But it insists it is not because of safety concerns following two confirmed coronavirus cases on the Gold Coast.
Rather, the decision was made because of the large number of stall holders who have pulled out of the event amid the virus scare.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Mayor Tom Tate says there was no risk to public health at the event.
“We had the advice from Queensland Health that there’s minimal risk, so the advice was not based on coronavirus,” Mayaor Tate said.
“The advice was based on stall holders not willing to participate. The event would be a flop and that’s not how we roll on the Gold Coast.
“For whatever reason, they have a right to go ‘we’re not participating this year’ and unfortunately there’s been numerous people who have come to that view.”
Celebrations had been scheduled to take place in the Chinatown precinct in Southport across the weekend with the main event happening on Saturday night.
Mayor Tate is not ruling out organising another celebration later in the year and is urging people to attend other events across the Gold Coast.
“I want to let the Asian-Chinese community know that we’re very supportive of what we’re facing right now and if there’s other events that’s occurring during Lunar New Year , like in Surfers Paradise I would encourage that it continues to be celebrated.”