Man to appear in court over Broadbeach attack

UPDATE @ August 20: A MAN is due to face Southport Court today after being charged over the alleged violent assault and robbery of a woman at Broadbeach last week.

The 29-year-old is accused of striking a 40-year-old woman in the face outside a set of units on Surf Parade on Monday, August 13, before trying to tie her up.

Luckily, the woman managed to break free and run to a nearby police station where she sought help.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT

The man then allegedly took off with the woman’s belongings which she had dropped during the attack.

Following a public appeal for information and the release of CCTV, the man, who police say is from Southport, was arrested.

He has been charged with a list of offences, including robbery with violence, assault occasioning bodily harm and possessing a Category M weapon.

He is also facing charges of disabling in order to commit an indictable offence, unlawful use of a motor vehicle, and receiving tainted property.

EARLIER @ August 19: A MAN who allegedly attacked a woman and tried tying her up outside a unit complex in Broadbeach has been arrested and charged.

The 29-year-old is accused of striking the 40-year-old woman in the face outside a set of units on Surf Parade about 7pm on Monday, August 13.

Police said the man tried to restrain the woman but she was able to break free and run to the nearby Broadbeach Police Station.

The man then allegedly picked up the woman’s belongings which she had dropped during the assault and ran off in a different direction.

At the time, police said it was believed the woman had arranged to meet up with the man before he allegedly assaulted her.

The entire attack is believed to have been captured on CCTV.

Detectives released a snippet of the footage and a comfit image to the media and, following a week-long search, arrested the man on Sunday.

The man, who police say lives in Southport, has since been charged with a list of offences, including robbery with violence, assault occasioning bodily harm and possessing a Category M weapon.

He is also facing charges of disabling in order to commit an indictable offence, unlawful use of a motor vehicle, and receiving tainted property.

The 29-year-old has been remanded in custody and is due to appear in the Southport Magistrates Court on Monday, August 20.

If you have information for Police, please contact Policelink on 131 444 or provide information using their online form 24 hours per day.

You can also report information about crime anonymously to Crime Stoppers by calling 1800 333 000 or via crimestoppersqld.com.au 24 hours per day. Crime Stoppers is a registered charity and community volunteer organisation.

Jaydan is a Digital News Producer at myGC.com.au. He was appointed Managing Editor of the Junee Southern Cross newspaper at the age of 17 and has since held positions in a number of newsrooms in New South Wales and Queensland. Jaydan joined the Hot Tomato Broadcasting Company in 2013 and has been keeping the Gold Coast up to date with the latest local, national and international news online at myGC.com.au ever since. With almost ten years’ experience in both print and digital media Jaydan is committed to providing the best coverage during major news and weather events.

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of