Mother perishes as son is saved from horror house fire

A FIVE-YEAR-OLD boy has been rescued from a horror house fire that claimed the life of his mother in Adelaide.

The Panto Avenue home went up in flames in the suburb of Paralowie shortly after midnight on Friday.

Police said emergency services were called to the scene about 12.20am and arrived to find the home well alight.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT

A five-year-old boy was rescued from inside the burning home and taken to the Women’s and Children’s Hospital with burns to his arm and upper body.

Incredibly, his injuries are not believed to be life-threatening and he is reported to be in a stable condition.

Sadly though, the boy’s 37-year-old mother who was asleep in the home at the time perished in the blaze.

Neighbours had frantically tried saving the child, who could be heard screaming for help, before fire crews arrived.

They kicked in the front and back doors of the home and smashed windows to try and reach the child, who was trapped and surrounded by flames in the lounge room, but it was too hot.

The boy was eventually rescued from the house by firefighters and police officers, one of whom was injured.

The officer sustained a laceration to his arm during the rescue and was taken to Lyell McEwin Hospital where he received stitches, while three other officers were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

It’s still unclear what triggered the blaze, which is thought to have started in a front bedroom where the mother-of-three was sleeping. Her two other children were not home at the time.

The fire not being treated as suspicious.

 

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of