Multiple people dead after shooting at US video game tournament

UPDATE at 2.00 PM | A professional gamer has been identified as the suspect gunman who shot dead two people and injured 11 others at a video game tournament in Jacksonville, Florida.

Jacksonville Sheriff Mike Williams said at a press conference a short time ago that authorities believe 24-year-old David Katz from Baltimore carried out the horrific attack at the Madden NFL 19 video game tournament around 1.34pm Sunday local time.

His car was impounded by police near the scene of the shooting, with authorities revealing that he had “stayed somewhere locally last night”.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT

A witness told local media that Katz had been defeated earlier on in the tournament and that he opened fire on other competitors before turning the gun on himself.

WATCH:

Horrifically, audio of the shooting was captured on video while the tournament was being broadcast live around the world.

The University of Florida Health has since provided an update, revealing four victims have been discharged from hospital, while two others remain under their care.

“Of the two remaining, one is in good condition and one in serious condition and under observation,” UF Health said in a statement.

“Our thoughts go out to those affected by today’s tragic incident in downtown Jacksonville.”

The motive for the attack has not yet been determined with investigations ongoing.

Judging from a tweet posted in February last year, the suspect appears to have been a known gamer, having won the the Madden Bills Championship in 2017.

EARLIER at 6.15 AM | MULTIPLE people have been killed after a gunman opened fire at a video game tournament in Jacksonville, Florida.

It’s understood the shooter started firing several shots on victims attending a Madden e-sports tournament at a video game bar at the Jacksonville Landing on Sunday afternoon.

Horrifically, audio of the fatal incident was captured on video while the tournament was being broadcast live online.

“We are aware of an incident at a sanctioned Madden Championship Series competition in Jacksonville. We are working with authorities to gather facts at this stage,” Electronic Arts, the entertainment company that produces the Madden video game, tweeted.

“This is a horrible situation, and our deepest sympathies go out to all involved.”

Initial reports suggest at least 11 people were shot, however it’s not yet known how many were killed.

Jackson’s Sheriff’s Office did however confirm that there were “multiple fatalities at the scene, many transported.”

“Mass shooting at the Jacksonville Landing. Stay far away from the area. The area is not safe at this time. STAY AWAY” they tweeted.

One suspect was found dead at the scene, with reports the shooter may have been a “disgruntled gamer”.

“This was a shooting at the EA Madden tournament and rumors are it was one the gamers who lost. Someone has posted a pic of a profile where a kid was upset and wanted to kill,” one person wrote.

Police are expected to provide an update shortly.

Shanee is a full-time Digital Journalist and Social Media Content Producer. In 2014, Shanee graduated from Griffith University’s Gold Coast Campus with a Bachelor of Communications majoring in Journalism, Public Relations and Marketing. Since joining 1029 Hot Tomato, Shanee has been keeping you up to date with breaking news and everything Gold Coast on myGC. Shanee also writes and photographs for Peony & Page, a personal home, style and travel blog & Instagram alias she founded in 2015.

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of