No new COVID-19 cases as QLD dodges “tsunami”

Queensland has recorded another day of no new coronavirus cases with the Premier declaring we have “dodged a tsunami.”

The State’s total remains at 1057 with just 12 active cases across Queensland.

Only person remains in intensive care on a ventilator.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT

Just one local case has been recorded in the last two weeks with all other cases coming from overseas or interstate.

Premier Annastacia Palaszcuk says Queensland has done a mighty job beating what seemed like “insurmountable odds” just 11 weeks ago.

“The frightening truth behind those numbers is what was predicted and what might have happened and it’s far more confronting,” The Premier told State Parliament.

“Had we not united together in our health response, we could have seen over 30,000 Queenslanders lose their lives, that is the cold, sobering fact.

“We only need to look at the tragic toll of this insidious disease in countries with advanced health systems to understand that, in many ways, we have dodged a tsunami.”

Testing rates increased on Monday following the weekend with 2886 people swabbed.

A total of 158,641 tests have now been carried out in Queensland since the beginning of the outbreak.

Meantime health officials continue to keep a close eye on a North Rockhampton nursing home after a nurse who worked at the facility tested positive last week.

Health Minister Steven Miles has conceded they feared the worst after news of the nurse’s diagnosis came through.

“We were preparing for thousands of positive cases every day,” Mr Miles told the ABC.

All residents and staff have since been tested but so far all have returned negative results.

They will continue to be tested every four days for the next two weeks.

“Certainly I thought that there would be positive results in that first batch,” Mr Miles said.

“But it is too soon to be relieved. We need to keep monitoring the situation.”

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of