Police confirm ‘no criminal charges’ over Gold Coast aged care crisis

POLICE have confirmed no criminal charges will be laid following an investigation into the sudden closure of an aged care home on the Gold Coast.

More than 70 elderly residents were forced out of the high-care wing at the Earl Haven Retirement Village in Nerang last Thursday after staff walked off the job.

An ongoing payment dispute between contractor Help Street and the Retirement Village’s owners People Care is behind the crisis.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT

In a statement on Friday, Queensland Police confirmed they will not be laying any charges against either party.

“Investigations have determined there was no evidence of any criminal offences being committed and there are no charges to be preferred against any person or organisation,” police said.

“No further action will be undertaken by police unless additional information is received.”

It comes as The Minister for Aged Care and Senior Australians, Richard Colbeck, revealed Kate Carnell will lead a full Federal inquiry into the events surrounding the forced relocation of vulnerable residents last week.

“Residents should not have been put in a situation where they were forced to be relocated because they were left without the care they so rightfully deserved,” Minister Colbeck said.

“To get to the bottom of what has occurred, I have commissioned a full inquiry into the circumstances leading up to the collapse in provision of aged care services at the facility.

“The inquiry will examine the impact and consequences of the events on the safety and wellbeing of the affected residents.

The Member for Moncrieff, Angie Bell, said she is working with department officials to ensure those effected receive the best possible care.

“I am devastated about what has happened to residents in my local community and fully support Minister Colbeck’s commissioning of a full inquiry into the circumstances surrounding Earl Haven.”

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of