Pet owners warned after Qld family’s pup allegedly baited with rat poison

A pet puppy has been rushed to hospital in a serious condition after consuming rat bait.

The brown-staffordshire bull-terrier named Toby is believed to have ingested the rat bait at his home in South Mackay.

Police say the pup’s owner returned home around 5.00pm on February 16 and discovered Toby agitated and very sick.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT

He was taken to a local vet, who confirmed the dog had consumed a quantity of rat bait resulting in his serious condition.

Thankfully, Toby has almost completely recovered from the incident thanks to quick medical treatment, however police say that if handled or consumed by animals or children – bait can be a serious risk to health.

“Toby’s owner has confirmed with police that he does not own or use rat bait at his South Mackay home,” police said in a statement.

They’re now encouraging anyone who may have information that could assist officers investigating this matter to call the Mackay station on 0749 683 444 or to contact Crime Stoppers any time of the day on 1800 333 000.

Shanee is a full-time Digital Journalist and Social Media Content Producer. In 2014, Shanee graduated from Griffith University’s Gold Coast Campus with a Bachelor of Communications majoring in Journalism, Public Relations and Marketing. Since joining 1029 Hot Tomato, Shanee has been keeping you up to date with breaking news and everything Gold Coast on myGC. Shanee also writes and photographs for Peony & Page, a personal home, style and travel blog & Instagram alias she founded in 2015.

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of