Police reach out to public for photos, footage of Dreamworld disaster

POLICE have reached out to members of the public for information and mobile phone footage of Tuesday’s horror accident at Dreamworld which killed four people.

Detective Inspector Mark Thompson made the public appeal shortly after midday on Wednesday and said the “complex” investigation would be a “lengthy process”.

“We have a complex investigation under way involving the Gold Coast criminal investigation branch, the state crime command, scientific police, workplace health and safety and the Queensland Coroner’s office,” Det Insp Thompson said.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT

“With Dreamworld being so popular, we know there was a significant number of people here and we want to appeal for anyone that may have information to come forward.”

Investigators have so far taken in excess of 40 statements.

Dreamworld CEO Craig Davidson also addressed the media on Wednesday afternoon while laying a floral wreath outside the theme park.

“The entire Dreamworld team are devastated and shocked by what occurred yesterday,” he said.

“I am here with my team to lay a wreath on behalf of the entire Dreamworld community, to pay our respects to the victims and to their families.

“Our priority is people. Our immediate focus is on the families, friends and loved ones of those who tragically lost their lives.”

Mr Davidson said the two children who were ejected from the ride and survived would receive Dreamworld’s full support.

“In paying our respects today, I also want to specifically acknowledge the impact of the event on the two children who were involved in this tragedy.

“These children will have our full support into the future.

“More broadly, we recognise this event has affected the entire Dreamworld family, our local communities, our guests and the emergency services and other first responders.

“The Dreamworld team is absolutely committed to fully supporting the authorities investigating the incident so we can find out what has occurred.”

Earlier, Assistant Commissioner of Gold Coast Police Brian Codd said the Thunder River Rapids ride was expected to remain a crime scene and the park closed for a number of days.

“It’s almost a miracle anyone got out of that alive and we have to be thankful for that,” he said. “This is a real emotional catastrophe.”

Anyone who rode the Thunder River Rapids at Dreamworld on Tuesday, anyone who witnessed the tragic accident first hand or anyone who may have photos or footage on their mobile phone is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

The community has been invited to attend a candlelight vigil outside Dreamworld at 6pm tonight to honour the victims of the tragedy.

1
Leave a Reply

avatar
0 Comment threads
0 Thread replies
0 Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
0 Comment authors
Recent comment authors
  Subscribe  
newest oldest most voted
Notify of