Little more than a week after a whale was trapped in shark nets near Burleigh, the State Government have doubled down on their stance.
This morning, during state budget estimates, the Government defended its stance on using the controversial nets.
It was also revealed 480 sharks were caught in the nets last year.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Fisheries Minister Mark Furner said the Government is always exploring different ways to keep swimmers safe from sharks.
“If new technologies are shown to be effective, in preventing non-target marine life fatalities, particularly for use, they would certainly be considered,” he said.
“Current evidence indicates traditional capture methods remain the most effective methods of reducing the number of shark attacks.”
— Nine News Gold Coast (@9NewsGoldCoast) July 16, 2018
The whale, which was trapped on July 16, sparked the debate over whether the nets should remain on the Coast.
The operation to free the whale took hours and multiple staff members from Seaworld and Queensland Department of Fisheries.
Experts said the whale could have drowned and died in a matter of hours if it had not been freed from the nets.