A red alert has been issued for water at Bray Park Weir following a blue-green algae outbreak, but Tweed residents are being assured the city’s main supply is still safe.
Water NSW has warned that the species of blue-green algae identified in the weir is potentially toxic and may cause gastroenteritis in humans if consumed and skin and eye irritations after contact.
It also advised that the outbreak may been found in waterholes along the Tweed and Oxley Rivers and further upstream.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Affected water appears to have a green paint-like scum on the water, near the edges, or greenish clumps throughout the water.
Residents and visitors are being urged to not drink, swim, shower or wash with raw water from the weir and to keep pets and livestock away as well.
People are also urged not to eat fish or crayfish from affected water.
Tweed Shire Council insists the city’s main water supply is still ok to drink despite some water being drawn from the weir.
“Council draws water from the weir for treatment at the Bray Park Water Treatment Plant before it is distributed to our water customers and treated water from the mains supply remains perfectly safe to drink,” Manager Water and Wastewater Anthony Burnham said.
“The treatment process used at the Bray Park Plant removes the potential toxins in the raw water, together with taste and odour compounds, making the treated water perfectly safe for consumption.”
Council is continuing to monitor the situation with daily testing of water occurring.
Anyone who thinks they may have come in contact with affected water is advised to seek medical advice.