ONE person has been hospitalised following a house fire on the Gold Coast overnight.
The blaze is understood to have erupted at a property on Sunbright Avenue in Mermaid Beach just before midnight.
A Queensland Fire and Emergency spokesperson said three crews were called to battle the flames, which were under control by 12.20pm.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
A resident was treated at the scene by paramedics for smoke inhalation before being taken to Gold Coast University Hospital in a stable condition.
It’s not yet known what sparked the fire.
Meanwhile, RACQ is this week urging residents to take a few minutes to check their heating appliances and smoke alarms as the temps begin to drop.
“What’s even more concerning is most people reported only checking their heaters if they noticed a problem with them.
“Often heaters haven’t been used since last winter but are now swiftly being pulled out of storage as the days and nights get cooler.”
Ms Clinton said there were some clear danger signs people needed to look out for.
“You can never be sure an appliance hasn’t suffered any damage while in storage unless you check it out,” she said.
“An excessive build-up of dust, loose or damaged cords and rust are obvious signs an appliance should be checked out before being plugged in.”
Ms Clinton said research found 70 percent of people surveyed had smoke alarms installed, but 12 percent had failed to test them in more than a year.
“It’s the beginning of winter so why not use it as a prompt to check the status of your smoke alarms,” she said.
“We don’t ever want to hear of home fire fatalities from something so simple as not having and maintaining a smoke alarm.”