Gold Coasters are being warned to look out for two intersections across the city which have been named among the worst in Queensland for crashes.
The intersections were revealed by the RACQ today, with the Gold Coast Highway and Clifford Street in Surfers Paradise, and Southport-Nerang Road and Currumburra Road in Southport among the most dangerous in the state.
The intersection at Kedron Park and Lutwyche roads in Brisbane took out the top spot for serious crashes, with RACQ revealing it recorded more than 30,000 insurance crash claims over the past year alone!
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
The Beaudesert-Beenleigh Road and Mundoolun Connection Road intersection in Tamborine rounded out the top ten.
Spokesperson Lucinda Ross said most of the problem spots had high traffic volumes at peak times, which made them riskier and more susceptible to crashes.
“We’re seeing more crashes in these areas as they’re extremely busy and are often congested, creating extra issues for drivers to navigate,” Ms Ross said.
“The corner of Kedron Park Road and Lutwyche Road has jumped up the list to number one because it’s a large complex intersection where people are getting caught out when not
paying attention to traffic signals.
“Looking at the Mt Lindsay Highway, Greenbank Road, Gold Coast Highway and Clifford Street intersections, the common theme is people simply aren’t giving way correctly.”
10 worst Queensland intersections for serious crashes:
• Kedron Park and Lutwyche roads, Kedron
• Mt Lindesay Highway and Greenbank Road, North Maclean
• Gold Coast Highway and Clifford Street, Surfers Paradise
• Southport-Nerang Road and Currumburra Road, Southport
• Old Gympie Road and Pumicestone Road, Caboolture
• Shute Harbour Road and Gregory-Cannon Valley Road, Cannon Valley (Whitsunday)
• Deeragun Road and Geaney Lane, Townsville
• City Road and Logan Street, Beenleigh
• Main Street and Chapel Road, Nikenbah (Fraser Coast)
• Beaudesert-Beenleigh Road and Mundoolun Connection Road, Tamborine.