A SEVERE thunderstorm warning has just been issued for parts of the state, with residents being warned to brace for damaging winds and large hailstones.
The warning has been issued for people in the Central Highlands and Coalfields, Capricornia, Wide Bay and Burnett and Darling Downs and Granite Belt Forecast Districts.
The Bureau of Meteorology says locations which may be affected include Gympie, Kingaroy, Cherbourg, Taroom, Eidsvold and Tiaro.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
A separate, more detailed Severe Thunderstorm Warning has also been issued for people in Southeast Queensland.
“These thunderstorms are moving towards the east to northeast,” the weather bureau says.
“They are forecast to affect the ranges south of Gayndah, the area north of Goomeri and the area north of Kilkivan by 12:35 pm.”
Damaging winds and large hailstones are likely.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.