A SEVERE thunderstorm warning has just been issued for parts of NSW.
The Bureau of Meteorology says the severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds and large hailstones over the next several hours in parts of the Hunter, Metropolitan, Illawarra and Central Tablelands districts.
Locations which may be affected include Bowral, Katoomba, Lithgow, Jenolan Caves, Springwood and Bilpin.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Severe thunderstorms are also likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding, damaging winds and large hailstones in parts of the Mid North Coast, Hunter and Northern Tablelands districts.
Locations which may be affected include Armidale, Glen Innes, Yarrowitch, Guyra, Walcha and Uralla.
Yarrowitch received 31mm of rain in just 30 minutes between 2.30pm – 3.00pm.
The bureau says that if severe thunderstorms develop in Sydney Newcastle Wollongong or surrounding areas, a more detailed Severe Thunderstorm Warning will be issued to people in this area.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
* Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid on 131 388, or Endeavour Energy on 131 003 or Essential Energy on 132 080, as shown on your power bill.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don’t walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.