Queensland Attorney General Yvette D’Ath has confirmed the state will appeal the jail sentence given to William O’Sullivan over the manslaughter of toddler Mason Jett Lee.
The 22-month-old was found dead by paramedics in a Caboolture home in June 2016. He suffered “head to toe” injuries which ultimately led to his death.
Mr O’Sullivan, who was Mason’s stepfather and primary carer at the time, pleaded guilty to manslaughter and was sentenced to nine years jail, with a non-parole period of six years, in the Brisbane’s Supreme Court last week.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Given time already served, the 37-year-old will be eligible for parole in just four years.
The sentence angered the community, with dozens of people including LNP Leader Deb Frecklington calling for an appeal.
“The sentence of William O’Sullivan is manifestly inadequate and out of touch with community expectations,” Ms Frecklington said.
“The fact this grub could be on the streets in four years after the death of Mason Jet Lee is staggering.
“What this man did to this little boy was sickening. He plead guilty, he was convicted and he should face the full force of the law.”
In a statement released on Thursday, Queensland Attorney General Yvette D’Ath confirmed an appeal had been lodged.
“I will appeal the nine year sentence handed down to William Andrew O’Sullivan for the manslaughter of Caboolture toddler Mason Jet Lee in 2016,” Ms D’Ath said.
“After receiving legal advice from the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, the appeal has been lodged today.
“As the appeal is now before the courts, I will do nothing that might prejudice these court proceedings and will be making no further comment.”