Posts

Canadian uni student with ‘horrific injuries’ after Gold Coast assault

FIRST ON MYGC: A Canadian university student studying on the Gold Coast has been left with “horrific injuries” after allegedly being coward-punched while enjoying a night out with mates in Surfers Paradise.

The young man, believed to be aged in his late teens or early 20s, was reportedly punched from behind while standing outside the Surfers Paradise Beer Garden in Cavill Avenue on Friday night.

He was rushed to Gold Coast University Hospital in a serious condition where he remains this morning, stable and waiting to undergo surgery.

The victim, who hails from Canada, is staying on the Gold Coast while studying full-time at Griffith University.

A mother of one of the victim’s friends told myGC the “bloke” who threw the devastating punch had left her son’s “best mate” with horrific injuries.

“Despite his horrific injuries, the bloke who hit him ran away,” said the victim’s friend’s mother, who requested she remain anonymous.

“He is one of my sons best mates and is here studying from Canada.

“He is currently in hospital with breaks to both sides of his jaw, a broken eye socket and damage to his teeth,” the woman told myGC.

The young student is expected to undergo surgery on Sunday.

Detectives are investigating the assault and, at the time of writing on Saturday night, no arrests had been made.

It’s hoped the attack was captured on council CCTV cameras.

Anyone who witnesses the assault, or may have information that could assist with the police investigation, is urged to come forward and contact Crime Stoppers.

“Aussie streets more violent than South Africa’s”: GC assault victim

A man who was knocked unconscious in a brutal assault on the Gold Coast last month has told 7 News “the streets of Australia are more dangerous than those in South Africa” after his house-mate fell victim to a similar savage attack on Saturday morning.

Oren Bermeister was knocked out cold and required several stitches to the back of his head after being coward punched at random while out in Broadbeach in March.

Oren told 7 News Gold Coast reporter Mackenzie Lyon that he was horrified to hear that his house-mate had also fallen victim to a similar random attack.

Oren’s house-mate was viciously assaulted, also at random, by two men armed with a knife in Surfers Paradise on Saturday morning.

Police said the 27-year-old victim, who has not been identified, was sitting in the driver’s set of his car which he had stopped on Surfers Paradise Boulevard, near the intersection with Clifford Street, when he was attacked at around 4am.

  • SCROLL DOWN TO WATCH THE 7 NEWS REPORT

It’s alleged the two men approached the 27-year-old’s car and opened its doors, at which point police say a female passenger fled to get help.

The two men allegedly proceeded to unleash a violent attack on Oren’s house-mate who had become trapped in the driver’s seat.

The 27-year-old was allegedly punched in the head repeatedly and had a knife held to his throat while the armed due rummaged through his belongings.

According to 7 News Gold Coast the assailants slashed the 27-year-old man’s jacket, stole his watch and smashed the back window of his car.

Police said the victim managed get away after slipping his vehicle into gear and accelerating away during the violent struggle.

“He could have been killed,” Oren told 7 News Gold Coast‘s Mackenzie Lyon. “They told him they were going to cut his throat.”

The 27-year-old was taken to Gold Coast University Hospital for treatment to minor injuries.

The victim’s house-mate told 7 News he no longer felt safe walking the streets in Australia following yet another savage incident so close to home.

“The streets of Australia are more dangerous than the streets of South Africa,” Oren said.

It’s understood Saturday morning’s terrifying incident in Surfers Paradise may have been captured on council security cameras.

Detectives are reviewing the CCTV footage.

As investigations into the attack continue, police are urging anyone who may be able to assist them with information to come forward.

Man robbed at knife-point while sitting in car on the Gold Coast

Police are investigating after a man was allegedly accosted and robbed at knife point while sitting in his parked car on the Gold Coast.

It was in Surfers Paradise at around 4am on Saturday when police say the man and a woman, who were both sitting in a car stopped on Surfers Paradise Boulevard, near Clifford Street, were approached by two men.

Police say the woman fled to get help after the two men allegedly opened the car doors and grabbed at the man who was sitting in the driver’s seat.

The armed pair allegedly held a knife at the man and started stealing property from him when police say the driver managed to slip his vehicle into gear and accelerate away during a struggle.

“The driver was able to put his vehicle into gear and drive away with one of the two men smashing a window of the vehicle as he did so,” police said in a statement.

The driver, a 27-year-old man from Surfers Paradise, was later taken to Gold Coast University Hospital with minor injuries. The woman was not injured.

As investigations in the alleged frightening incident continue, police are urging anyone with any information to come forward.

Young man dragged from tent by large crocodile in Australia’s top end

A young man has survived a horrifying crocodile attack while camping with family in the Northern Territory over the Anzac Day long weekend.

In scenes reminiscent to a horror film, the 19-year-old man was camping with his family along a creek in the Douglas Daly region, north of Katherine, when he was reportedly dragged out of his tent by a large croc around 4.30am on Monday.

With its jaw firmly wrapped around the young man’s right leg, the reptile reportedly dragged the 19-year-old out of his tent and up to 15 metres away.

Remarkably, the man escaped after somehow managing to free himself from the wild animal’s mouth.

While bleeding from multiple gashes to his leg, the 19-year-old’s family drove him more than two hours away to Katherine Hospital where he tonight remains in a stable condition.

Boy, 16, arrested in NSW, accused of plotting Anzac Day terror attack

UPDATE 1.00PM: A 16-year-old boy charged with preparing to carry out a terrorist attack at an Anzac Day ceremony in Sydney will front court on Tuesday after the case was adjourned in a children’s court on Monday.

Court documents reveal the 16-year-old had allegedly attempted to obtain a gun between Saturday April 23 and Sunday April 24 in order to carry out the attack at a commemorative event in Sydney.

Officers from the state’s Joint Counter Terrorism unit pounced on the Australian-born teenager on Sunday, arresting him as he walked down a street near his home at Auburn, in Sydney’s west.

The terrorism unit then searched the teenager’s home where it’s alleged they found a disturbing collection of extremist propaganda.

The 16-year-old has since been charged with one count of preparing or planning a terrorist act which carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.

He was due to front Parramatta Children’s Court on Monday, however was not required to appear as the case was adjourned until Tuesday.

The boy has been remanded in custody with the understanding he will apply for bail on Tuesday.

UPDATE 8.30AM: Police have allegedly found a disturbing stash of Islamic State propaganda inside the home of a 16-year-old boy charged with planning to carry out a terrorist attack in Sydney today.

The teenager was arrested by officers from the Joint Counter Terrorism Team on a street near his home at Auburn in Sydney’s west on Sunday as part of Operation Vianden.

It’s alleged the 16-year-old had plotted to attack an Anzac Day ceremony in Sydney today. He is believed to have been acting alone.

Following his arrest, officers searched the teen’s home where it’s alleged they found a frightening collection of extremist propaganda, though no weapons were found.

Details of the alleged terror plot have not yet been released.

New South Wales Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione addressed the media on the developments at a 6am press conference.

“At this stage, we believe it was one person by himself,” NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione told reporters.

“The risk from this particular threat has been thwarted.”

The teenager, who police have confirmed was known to them, has since been charged with one count of acts in preparation for, or planning, a terrorist act, which carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.

He is due to front a Sydney’s children’s court today.

Meanwhile, security has been stepped up at Anzac Day services right across New South Wales following the arrest, with Commissioner Scipione urging people to “go out and enjoy” the sacred day.

“Do not let an event like this stop you from going out and taking part in what is a most important commemorative day for us,” he said.

FIRST AT 4.00AM: Police say they have foiled an Anzac Day terrorist attack in Australia following the arrest of a 16-year-old boy in Sydney.

In a statement released to media early on Monday morning, police said the teenager was arrested near his Auburn home in the city’s west on Sunday following an investigation by officers attached to Operation Vianden.

New South Wales Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione said the Joint Counter Terrorism Team was forced to act in order to ensure public safety.

The teenage boy was taken to Auburn Police Station and charged with one count of Acts in preparation for, or planning, a Terrorist Act, contrary to Section 101.6 of the Criminal Code (Cth) which carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.

It’s alleged the teen had planned to carry out an attack at an Anzac Day ceremony in Sydney.

Details surrounding the exact nature of the attack have not been released.

Refused bail, the 16-year-old is due to appear in a Sydney children’s court today.

“Clearly we have taken swift action to ensure community safety on the eve of a sacred day on the Australian calendar,” Commissioner Scipione said.

“ANZAC Day should be observed by all in our community free from fear and I would encourage everyone to enjoy this special day,” he said.

“I want to assure the NSW community that our counter terrorism capability is such that we were able to move quickly to prevent harm.”

“The age of the individual is obviously a concern for us, and it remains a measure of the ongoing task facing law enforcement and the community.”

The AFP State Manager for NSW, Commander Chris Sheehan, said family and friends were vital when it came to connecting with young people who “may be susceptible to carry out criminal acts that attract significant penalties”.

“A cohesive society and social inclusion is critical in driving a counter-narrative to extremist ideology,” he said.

“Yesterday’s activity is another example of the effectiveness of the cooperative nature of the Joint Counter Terrorism Team.

“We will disrupt to ensure the safety of the community, and follow that up with thorough investigations to identify criminal behavior.

“In Australia and around the world, the age of people radicalised is getting younger, with online grooming tactics similar to those used by sexual predators.”

Police will address the media with more detail at 6am.

This is a breaking news article. More information will be added once it becomes available.