Posts

Baby perishes as mum and kids are trapped in horror house fire

A one-year-old girl has tragically died and her mother and three-year-old brother are being treated for burns after the family became trapped in a horror house fire in southern New South Wales.

Emergency services raced to the three-storey unit block on Mowatt Street in Queanbeyan’s East at around 2.45pm on Monday to find flames shooting out of windows from a unit on the second floor.

The situation rapidly escalated into a dramatic rescue mission after authorities learned that a mother and her two small children were still inside the room, surrounded by flames and unable to get out.

The 22-year-old woman and her three-year-old son were eventually plucked to safety from a burning balcony.

Both mother and son are believed to have been burnt in the blaze.

Neighbour Kenny Cameron recalled to 7 News the frantic moment he tried to save the woman and her two children, but was forced back by fierce flames and clouds of toxic smoke.

He told 7 News he was forced to watch on in horror as they woman tried to escape.

“She was screaming at me,” Kenny told 7 News. “I tried to help her find her baby, but I couldn’t open the door up. There was just that much black toxic smoke.”
“She looked out the window and (the fire) just exploded and it come towards her.”

It’s understood the woman suffered serious burns to a large portion of her body, while her three-year-old son escaped with less serious injuries.

Both were rushed to Canberra Hospital.

Tragically, fire fighters found the body of the woman’s one-year-old daughter inside the unit after the fire had been extinguished.

A crime scene was established at the address while investigations into the cause of the fire were carried out.

Three police officers were also treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.

A report will be prepared for the Coroner.

Boy, 15, arrested at gunpoint in Sydney after pointing pistol at police

A 15-year-old boy has been arrested at gunpoint after allegedly pointing a replica pistol at a police officer’s head in Sydney.

The chilling scenes unfolded in Hornsby on Sydney’s Upper North Shore just after midday on Saturday.

Police swooped on the suburb after members of the public reported seeing the teenager on Hunter Street, armed with what appeared to be a silver handgun.

In a statement released to media overnight, police said a male Sergeant approached the teenage boy shortly after 12.30pm, at which point it’s alleged the 15-year-old pointed the pistol at the officer’s face.

“The Sergeant has drawn his service firearm and called for the teen to drop the pistol, to which he complied,” police said in the statement.

The 15-year-old was arrested and the weapon seized.

After closer inspection, the pistol was found to be fake.

The teenager was taken to Hornsby Police Station where he was charged with possessing a prohibited pistol and assaulting police.

He was refused bail to appear before a children’s court today (Sunday).

Boy, 16, arrested in NSW, accused of plotting Anzac Day terror attack

UPDATE 1.00PM: A 16-year-old boy charged with preparing to carry out a terrorist attack at an Anzac Day ceremony in Sydney will front court on Tuesday after the case was adjourned in a children’s court on Monday.

Court documents reveal the 16-year-old had allegedly attempted to obtain a gun between Saturday April 23 and Sunday April 24 in order to carry out the attack at a commemorative event in Sydney.

Officers from the state’s Joint Counter Terrorism unit pounced on the Australian-born teenager on Sunday, arresting him as he walked down a street near his home at Auburn, in Sydney’s west.

The terrorism unit then searched the teenager’s home where it’s alleged they found a disturbing collection of extremist propaganda.

The 16-year-old has since been charged with one count of preparing or planning a terrorist act which carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.

He was due to front Parramatta Children’s Court on Monday, however was not required to appear as the case was adjourned until Tuesday.

The boy has been remanded in custody with the understanding he will apply for bail on Tuesday.

UPDATE 8.30AM: Police have allegedly found a disturbing stash of Islamic State propaganda inside the home of a 16-year-old boy charged with planning to carry out a terrorist attack in Sydney today.

The teenager was arrested by officers from the Joint Counter Terrorism Team on a street near his home at Auburn in Sydney’s west on Sunday as part of Operation Vianden.

It’s alleged the 16-year-old had plotted to attack an Anzac Day ceremony in Sydney today. He is believed to have been acting alone.

Following his arrest, officers searched the teen’s home where it’s alleged they found a frightening collection of extremist propaganda, though no weapons were found.

Details of the alleged terror plot have not yet been released.

New South Wales Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione addressed the media on the developments at a 6am press conference.

“At this stage, we believe it was one person by himself,” NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione told reporters.

“The risk from this particular threat has been thwarted.”

The teenager, who police have confirmed was known to them, has since been charged with one count of acts in preparation for, or planning, a terrorist act, which carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.

He is due to front a Sydney’s children’s court today.

Meanwhile, security has been stepped up at Anzac Day services right across New South Wales following the arrest, with Commissioner Scipione urging people to “go out and enjoy” the sacred day.

“Do not let an event like this stop you from going out and taking part in what is a most important commemorative day for us,” he said.

FIRST AT 4.00AM: Police say they have foiled an Anzac Day terrorist attack in Australia following the arrest of a 16-year-old boy in Sydney.

In a statement released to media early on Monday morning, police said the teenager was arrested near his Auburn home in the city’s west on Sunday following an investigation by officers attached to Operation Vianden.

New South Wales Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione said the Joint Counter Terrorism Team was forced to act in order to ensure public safety.

The teenage boy was taken to Auburn Police Station and charged with one count of Acts in preparation for, or planning, a Terrorist Act, contrary to Section 101.6 of the Criminal Code (Cth) which carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.

It’s alleged the teen had planned to carry out an attack at an Anzac Day ceremony in Sydney.

Details surrounding the exact nature of the attack have not been released.

Refused bail, the 16-year-old is due to appear in a Sydney children’s court today.

“Clearly we have taken swift action to ensure community safety on the eve of a sacred day on the Australian calendar,” Commissioner Scipione said.

“ANZAC Day should be observed by all in our community free from fear and I would encourage everyone to enjoy this special day,” he said.

“I want to assure the NSW community that our counter terrorism capability is such that we were able to move quickly to prevent harm.”

“The age of the individual is obviously a concern for us, and it remains a measure of the ongoing task facing law enforcement and the community.”

The AFP State Manager for NSW, Commander Chris Sheehan, said family and friends were vital when it came to connecting with young people who “may be susceptible to carry out criminal acts that attract significant penalties”.

“A cohesive society and social inclusion is critical in driving a counter-narrative to extremist ideology,” he said.

“Yesterday’s activity is another example of the effectiveness of the cooperative nature of the Joint Counter Terrorism Team.

“We will disrupt to ensure the safety of the community, and follow that up with thorough investigations to identify criminal behavior.

“In Australia and around the world, the age of people radicalised is getting younger, with online grooming tactics similar to those used by sexual predators.”

Police will address the media with more detail at 6am.

This is a breaking news article. More information will be added once it becomes available.

Girl unconscious after suspected drug overdose at NSW music festival

Two teenagers have been rushed to hospital – one of them unconscious and in a critical condition – after suffering suspected drug overdoses at a music festival in New South Wales.

The pair – a 15-year-old girl and 17-year-old boy – had been partying at the ‘Groovin the Moo’ music festival in Maitland when they fell violently ill on Saturday afternoon.

The girl was found unconscious and has been rushed to John Hunter Hospital in a critical condition.

The 17-year-old boy was taken Maitland Hospital in a less serious condition.

Boy charged over sexual assault of woman on NSW Central Coast

A 16-year-old boy has been arrested and charged over the alleged sexual assault of a 33-year-old woman on the NSW Central Coast.

Police say the woman was walking her dog along a footpath on Elizabeth Bay Drive in Lake Munmorah around 5pm on Monday, 4 April, when she was attacked.

It’s alleged the 16-year-old approached the woman from behind and sexually assaulted her before running away.

The woman told police she recognised the teen after seeing him running out of a car park at the intersection of Elizabeth Bay and Quisenberry drives only moments earlier.

Following inquiries, detectives arrested the 16-year-old in Lake Munmorah yesterday afternoon and conveyed him to Wyong Police Station where he was charged with sexual assault.

He was remanded in custody to front a children’s court today