Posts

Man charged over horrifying hit and run of Gold Coast cab driver

UPDATE 3.30PM SATURDAY: A man has been arrested and charged over the horrifying hit and run of a cab driver in Surfers Paradise on Friday.

The 33-year-old man from Broadbeach was arrested on Saturday morning and later charged with one count of dangerous operation of a vehicle causing grievous bodily harm.

The man is accused of mowing down the 29-year-old cab driver in a black Holden Cruze on Laycock Street at around 4.45pm on Friday.

The shocking incident, which unfolded in front of horrified witnesses, the majority of whom were tourists, was captured on CCTV.

  • SCROLL DOWN TO WATCH VIDEO

The footage shows the black Holden Cruze striking the cab driver as he stood next to a parked maxi taxi.

The victim, a local man from Labrador, was thrown into the air and onto his face.

He was taken to Gold Coast University Hospital with serious leg injuries.

The 33-year-old man is due to appear in the Southport Magistrates Court May 26.

FRIDAY: A manhunt is under way on the Gold Coast for a driver who mowed down a cabbie in Surfers Paradise on Friday afternoon.

The shocking hit-and-run occurred on Laycock Street at around 4.45pm and was captured on CCTV.

A black sedan, described by police as a Holden Cruze, was caught on camera ploughing into the cab driver at high speed before driving off.

The cabbie, a 29-year-old Labrador man, can be seen in the footage standing on the roadway beside a parked maxi taxi when he was struck.

The sedan hit the man with so much force, he was thrown over the bonnet and into the air before landing on his head.

The sedan also side swiped the parked taxi.

According to 7NEWS, the cab driver and the driver of the sedan had been engaged in a heated argument moments before the hit-and-run.

Shocked witnesses raced to the injured cab driver’s aid and attempted to stop the black sedan, but it sped off.

The 29-year-old was taken to the Gold Coast University Hospital with serious leg injuries.

Police said the man’s injuries are not considered life threatening.

Police, including officers from the Forensic Crash Unit, are investigating the incident and are attempting to track down the driver of the black sedan, which is described as a Holden Cruze with Queensland registration 816-VJS.

Anyone who witnessed the hit-and-run, or anyone who may have information that could assist police in locating the driver of the sedan, has been urged to come forward and contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Girls charged over violent knife-point robbery in Wagga Wagga

Two young girls have been arrested and charged over the violent knife-point robbery of a service station in Wagga Wagga.

The two 17-year-old girls are accused of holding up a service station on Tobruk Street in Ashmont at around 7.45pm on Wednesday 4 May.

Both allegedly armed with knives, the girls allegedly threatened a male attendant before one of them allegedly assaulted him.

Police said the employee was able to fight off the knife-wielding teens, who both had their faces concealed, and they were forced out of the store empty handed.

The employee called police who within minutes had surrounded the service station and started searching for the armed girls, but they could not be found.

Following investigations, the two 17-year-old girls attended Wagga Wagga Police Station yesterday, Friday 13 May, where they were arrested and charged; one with attempted robbery whilst armed., and the other with principal in the second degree to attempted robbery whilst armed.

Both girls were refused bail and were due to appear before a Children’s Court today, Saturday 14 May.

Knife-wielding man allegedly took hostage in Gold Coast kebab shop

A man reportedly high on drugs has allegedly taken a woman hostage inside a kebab shop while trying to evade police on the Gold Coast.

The dramatic scenes unfolded in Ashmore just before 10am on Friday.

  • SCROLL DOWN TO WATCH THE VIDEO

Police say they were called to a store on Southport-Nerang Road, near Kinarra Street, following reports of a drug affected man creating a disturbance.

On arrival, the 23-year-old local allegedly fled the shop and jumped over a fence, injuring his shoulder.

The man then allegedly burst into a nearby Kebab shop where police say he took a knife and locked the doors, preventing a 45-year-old woman from leaving.

He eventually let the woman go and fled the shop, running to an address in nearby Kinarra Street where he was arrested by police who had their tasers drawn.

Fortunately, the 45-year-old woman whom the man had locked himself inside the take away store with was not physically injured.

The man was taken to Gold Coast University Hospital for treatment to a shoulder injury before being charged with one count each of deprivation of liberty, wilful damage, stealing and three counts of trespass.

He is due to appear in Southport Magistrates Court on Saturday.

VIDEO | Brutal police bashing broadcast live across the United States

The shocking moment a group of police officers began brutally beating a man who had peacefully surrendered to police during an arrest in the U.S. has been broadcast live on national television.

  • SCROLL DOWN TO WATCH VIDEO

A news helicopter filmed the disturbing footage following a police chase which reportedly spanned two states on Wednesday.

The footage, which was broadcast live to millions of people across the United States and has since gone viral around the world thanks to social media, shows the driver of the pursued vehicle coming to a stop in New Hampshire.

PHOTO: YouTube

PHOTO: YouTube

The driver, who is reportedly wanted on multiple warrants, is said to have refused to stop for officers in Massachusetts, sparking the subsequent chase.

Surrounded by police whom have their guns trained on the vehicle, the driver is seen to slowly step out of his car and surrender to police by kneeling and placing his hands on the ground before a squad of officers “incorporated” the violent arrest.

PHOTO: YouTube

PHOTO: YouTube

As the helicopter’s footage went live across the country, the news reader reports: “You can see guns drawn and the suspect moving out of that vehicle right now…plenty of law enforcement and also dogs as well.”

Then, police moved in.

“…and now they are incorporating the arrest right here,” the news reader continued as the savage beating began.

PHOTO: YouTube

PHOTO: YouTube

The footage shows eight police officers, including a dog handler, rush towards the unarmed man after he surrenders with at least two officers seen unleashing a flurry of savage punches to the suspects head and body before the camera zooms out in an attempt to censor the brutality.

PHOTO: YouTube

PHOTO: YouTube

The arrest is now the subject of an investigation and departmental review.

“We will conduct a separate departmental review of the actual apprehension, as the video captured by news helicopters shows a use of force against the suspect,” Massachusetts State Police said in a statement to media.

“That review will investigate whether the level of force used was appropriate given the totality of the circumstances.”

Heavily armed police locked in stand-off with gunman in Adelaide

Heavily armed police have surrounded a hostel in the heart of Adelaide amid reports of a man armed with a gun.

Several police crews raced to the building on Carrington Street just before 1pm AEST.

The street has been cordoned off and neighbouring homes and businesses evacuated while police respond to the tense stand-off.

It’s understood a man has barricaded himself inside a hostel and is armed with a gun.

The man is said to be threatening police.

Officers can be seen with their guns drawn and aimed at the building while seeking shelter behind parked cars in the street.