UPDATE at 10:50 AM | IT has been revealed three teenagers who were electrocuted on the railway line at Pimpama overnight never actually came into contact with the live wires.
It was first thought the three 17-year-old boys had been walking along a private trail near Pimpama-Jacobs Well Road when one of them fell onto live wires just before 9pm.
But Queensland Ambulance this morning revealed that was not the case, saying the boys had actually climbed over a safety barrier and were sitting on a bridge when the electricity from the lines arced.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“Apparently what happened is they climbed over the bridge there and sat on the concrete barriers that support the bridge to admire the view,” Senior Operations Supervisor Allan Windsor said.
“While sitting there, the electricity from the high voltage wires has arched across.”
Two of the boys suffered burns, ranging in severity from full to partial thickness, to half of their bodies.
They were rushed to the specialist burns unit at the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital where they both remain this morning in a critical but stable condition.
Paramedics said at least one of the teens had entry wounds to his feet and an exit wound to his back.
It’s understood the third boy suffered an electric shock and burns to his hands after trying to help his mates and put out their burning clothes.
“When we arrived his heart was racing at 187 beats per minute,” Mr Windsor said.
He was taken to the Gold Coast University Hospital in a serious but stable condition.
Speaking to media later on Friday morning, Queensland Ambulance Service Senior Operations Supervisor Cary Strong said the boys were “extremely lucky” to be alive.
“To have that amount of volts go through you and still be conscious, alive but in a serious condition at the moment – extremely lucky,” Mr Strong said.
“It is not worth risking your own life or the lives of others for a moment of indiscretion or stupidity. That’s the result.”
A team of paramedics, including critical care crews and the city’s High Acuity Response Unit, responded to the scene and treated the boys at the scene before conveying them to hospital.
Trains were suspended in both directions between Beenleigh and Helensvale for about an hour following the incident, with services returning to normal shortly after 10pm.
Queensland Rail is investigating the incident.
Gold Coast Senior Operations Supervisor Cary Strong spoke with the media this morning after three patients were taken to hospital in serious conditions following an electrocution incident at #Pimpama pic.twitter.com/NRRG2y8TLV
— Queensland Ambulance (@QldAmbulance) September 7, 2018
FIRST at 12:30 AM | THREE teenage boys have been rushed to hospital, one of them in a critical condition with severe burns to more than half of his body, following a ‘major incident’ on the train line at Pimpama.
It’s understood the boys, all believed to be 17-years-old, were walking along a private trail near Pimpama-Jacobs Well Road when one of them came into contact with live wires just before 9pm on Thursday.
Queensland Ambulance said all three teenagers sustained burns of varying degrees. A team of paramedics, including critical care crews, worked on the boys at the scene before rushing them to hospital.
Two of the boys were taken to the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital where they remain this morning, receiving treatment in the specialist burns unit.
At least one of them is believed to be in a critical condition with burns to up to 60 per cent of his body.
The third boy was taken to the Gold Coast University Hospital in a serious but stable condition.
Gold Coast trains were suspended in both directions between Helensvale and Beenleigh for about an hour while emergency crews responded to the incident.
Update, Major Rail Line Incident #Pimpama. QAS transported 3 patients in total. 1 patient transported in a critical Condition to the RBWH. 1 patient transported in a serious condition to the RBWH. 1 patient transported in a serious condition to the Gold Coast University Hospital.
— Queensland Ambulance (@QldAmbulance) September 6, 2018